PDA

View Full Version : Lakers

Mark Sivill
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Will be on Eagle the week of June 5th. Typically I believe the lakers are in the basins this time of year. Are there any basin areas anyone can share? I believe Gilbert Stretch is one but what about others?

Steve Herbeck
05-17-2010, 05:05 PM
portage bay,gilberts,trout hole 0,1,2
there are always some in and around the deeper holes but many will be transitioning back as they scatter all over the whole lake after turnover till late spring / early summer when they start heading back.
the portage lakes off eagle as well as the drive to lakes off hwy 17,gordon rd etc are usually excellent around that time frame aqlso

Triggerfinger
05-21-2010, 08:26 PM
I've always seen some big marks on the graph way down deep in the Nash's Bay area. Do you think it holds many lakers throughout the summer? Or, do you think they hold to the West Arm due to clearer water? The depths are not that different in the two areas.

Triggerfinger

Steve Herbeck
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
there are a very FEW lakers in that section early in the season,probably to late for this spring,might catch one by accident and those are mostly transiants that migrated there after turnover and during the winter migrating back to the portage bay and western arm areas come late spring/early summer but not a targetable population,what you are marking is 90% whitefish which make big long arcs on your graph and probably some big pike,maybe a muskie or 2 also. i would try portage bay if you don't want to make the run all the way west.
the only reason the commercial fisherman can net whitefish in the nash bay,deadmans, central section is because he has little or no probabilty of accidently netting and potentially killing any trout ,he must have his nets deeper than 60' so he has low % of incidental walleye and pike in his nets,doesn't want to catch walleyes and pike because once he hits a low incidental allotment of those species he must pull his nets for the season and the whitefish are his bread and butter with a high allotment.
he cannot net portage or western arm because of the high potential of netting trout.
the MNR is currently doing a tranmitter study on the population and migrating of the trout on eagle so if you catch any trout with transmitters release and notify your resort owner or the MNR so you can relay the info of where it was caught.
i believe and as i told them they will find the distances trout migrate on eagle once turnover occurs and back once the water starts to warm will be amazing.