PDA

View Full Version : Big perch and lots of walleyes tonight

The Bait Shop Guy
05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
The last two days of East wind had the fish STACKED on the breakline south of Gladstone tonight. It was pretty much solid fish in 30 to 40 FOW. The perch were still a little lethargic after the last cold front, but the walleyes sure wanted to play! In total, I landed 24 walleyes, and could have easily limited out if the season was open. Only landed 8 perch, but they were all big! Best one went 13 1/4 inches!:eek: To big to eat in my book, and too small to mount, so I threw that one back. Water temp was 51-52 degrees. Caught everything on perch rigs with tipped with worms and wigglers.

I fished just south of Saunder's Point. I started marking fish steady as soon as I came off plane, so I didn't do much exploring. I'm sure you could have found fish along that whole breakline, all the way down to the Gladstone harbor. Since this area is a pretty well known "community meat-hole," on a large body of water that can handle a lot of fishing pressure, I included a map showing EXACTLY where I was, and a picture of one of the fish living there.

Can't do much more for you than that.

RudyG
05-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Nice fish.. and real funny Chris!!:D

Fastcat
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
lol, that is some funny stuff right there!

Frank S
05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
What I want to know is were you fishing off the front of the boat or the back?

DooFighter
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh boy, here we go again, more vague fishing reports! I've had it with this site :rolleyes: Maybe if I went out there, Chris, you could get your scuba gear on and hook some fish on my line? That would save me the time of looking at your map and figuring which way is up.

The Bait Shop Guy
05-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Well Frank, as you can see in the picture, I fish out of the back of the boat when chasing perch. I caught most of my fish in 33.1 to 33.9 FOW. I know that's kind of vague, but when fishing in the wind and waves on a sloping breakline, it's hard to be sure exactly what depth they bit the best at. Sorry for any confusion this may cause:p

KillitandGrillit
05-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Chris, that's totally useless information. What we REALLY need to know is: which side of the reel is your handle attached to...and more importantly, was the anti-reverse switch on?

LOL...thanks for the laugh guys.

Fastcat
05-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Well since we can not get any useful information, Chris can I just stop by the shop and pick up the fish you caught? I will pay for the bait!

KillitandGrillit
05-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Oh, and I like my fish breaded with Lilly River breading. Dont over cook them, please.

Mr. Marbles
05-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Chris, as always thanks for all the usefull information. Somehow I still think your leaving something out; to vague. Gook luck my friend. "Keep your tip high Bait Shop Guy." Bassin is just around the corner. Can't wait to try out the Senco's

Dave Eichenhofer
05-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info, we did see a few boats out there on opening weekend. We had success, with walleyes, north of the point drifting reefs and weedbeds. Limited out one day and were one fish short the next. Also had some luck trolling the western shore in the evenings with large rapalas. Great hospitality at the Rod and Reel Resort as well as quality refreshments at the Kipling Bar and Swallow Inn. Great to see many healthy fish. While not the size we have had in the past, the numbers were great. All our drifting success came on the hand made harnesses from the All Season's Motel and Baitshop, copper colored primarily. I must say, however, that all the baitshops and fishermen in the area readily shared strategies and success rates. Great weekend in a great area!!!

peanutbutter soup
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
because chris won't tell about where he was fishing or what kind of bait or how deep he was fishing, could you come with me next time and bait my hook for me...i must not be doing it right. thanks lol:rolleyes: