PDA

View Full Version : Rod holders

Anzomcik
05-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I am lookin at getting some good rod holders. So if you have a set you would recommend, i would like to hear about them.

I am leaning twords Downeast, but i might be suprised to hear what people like. Its my way of shopping around, and getting honest feedback. Thanks

muskie52
05-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I use the Downeast holders and no complaints.

Red Childress
05-13-2010, 06:54 AM
There is another thread on the back pages here about rod holders. If I get a chance I will pull it up.

Anyway, DownEast are great but the Folbe's (plastic) are great too. (Metal vs. Plastic, let the debate begin.) The Folbe's allow quicker vertical angle changes and hold the rod differently than the DE's do.

It is probably an individual preference thing based on your boat set-up.

Just my .02 cents.

Anzomcik
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Red, or anyone for that matter. Have you tried Folbe holders? Like most i worrie about the holder breaking, i know they warrenty it but its the 400$ in rod and reel i lose that would have me crying the blues.

Red Childress
05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Jim Bortz is running the Folbe's right now and loves them.

I have never heard of anyone breaking either one of them under 'normal' circumstances. I have heard of guys breaking both types under extreme conditions like cold weather with drags cranked down and hard snag scenario.

I would have to go with the DE's if it were up to me. JMO.

Red Childress
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Anzomcik,

Which holders did you choose??

Anzomcik
05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
In the next day or two i will be ordering down east, s-10 salty the double clamp version.

I figure with the miles you put on them, and hearin you say they are good they must be. I see Thorne Bro have the best price at 30$ a piece so i think i will be grabbin 4 of those. Unless you know where i will could buy them cheaper?

I run the quick draw cabelas brand in my lake erie walleye boat, they work great but thats walleye you do not need much to hold them back. So once i got that boat set up with 10 holders i never needed to keep shopping for holders. So i am a little behind in the times when it comes to rod holders for musky.

Thanks for the advise.

muskyjerk
05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
I use a folbe in my kayak and no problem getting rod out when a fish strikes. Can't say anything for it not breaking though in the kayak even when i am paddling fast.