PDA

View Full Version : Time of Day ?

RapRunR
05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Besides the obvious dawn and dusk that i like to fish more than anything what times during the day would you guys say is best for fishing for muskies ? Being weather is always a factor of course but how about on a nice day like today with lots of sun ?

cband
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Sunrise, Sunset, Moonrise, Moonset...You definitely want to be on the water around moonrise and moonset no matter what time of the day it is. I have caught a lot of fish following the lunar tables.

Pescatore
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
10am turns up quite often

Red Childress
05-05-2010, 05:03 AM
During the dog days of summer, the very early morning bite is not that strong here on the clear water of the River. I really think it is due to the strong nite bite going on making the majority of the fish not hungry/not aggressive at first light/early morning hours. (Just an observation I have been keeping track of for a few years.)

I do notice a decent feeding window around mid-day many times regardless of the weather.

Just my .02 cents.

Ivan
05-05-2010, 06:09 AM
I have noticed some action around and I always pay attention to moonrise and moonset. I think the time of day thing other than moon times, local weather changes, etc, can really depend on the body of water you are fishing. For example, we have had good mornings and evenings on a clear lake in Canada we fish. I would say most of the time around home on the lakes we fish, including PA, OH, and NY our best times overall have been between the hours of 10:00am and 2:00pm.

I have started paying attention to major and minor times this year. I located a table on the FLW website. I have notice some correlation this year, but haven't been doing it long enough to determine a pattern. I don't really understand what the majors and minors are. Does anyone have a sloid explanation? They don't line up with moonrise and moonset that I can tell. Are they moon overhead and moon underfoot? Which is the major and which is the minor?

Adam A.

Red Childress
05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
I remember reading an article (not sure where but probably MH Magazine) last year or year before when someone (maybe Gelb) was talking about moon underfoot/overhead. I think the opinion of the author was that 'underfoot' was the minor and 'overhead' was the major.

Now I am going to have to look this up so I can sleep tonite!

lowbidder
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I always thought the major times were moonrise and moonset and the minor times were peak overhead and underfoot, but the more I look into it the more confused I become.
I don't know why I care... I don't get enough time to fish anyway, so I just go any chance i get!!:)

RapRunR
05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Thx for the info guys !! When i'm ready to fish i usually just get out there and do it. I think i'll start paying more attention to the moon phases than i normally do. Nothing so far this year but only been out a few times. Going to head out shortly and try the last couple hours tonight. Need to get that first hookup for the year. Thx again !!