PDA

View Full Version : Opening Weekend Report! 5/3/10

Chas Martin
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Action over the opening weekend was fast and furious and the weather and wind combined to create some truly excellent fishing conditions! We caught walleye, perch, northern pike, smallmouth bass and even muskie, all on the simple jig and minnow combo and crankbaits were also effective in very windy areas as well. One of the best parts about fishing early in the season is that almost all species congregate in the same areas in the lakes, usually the North and East shores and bays where the water is the warmest and the weed growth is a step ahead. This weekend was no exception as the traditional approaches worked very well and conditions were stable.

Water surface temps early in the morning were anywhere from 54-55 degrees and warmed up to 56-60 degrees by mid day. Wind was a big factor with gusts of up to 30 mph ripping out of the Southwest. As mentioned earlier, boat control was critical to success in the strong winds. The weapon of choice was the 1/16th oz jig tipped with a medium / large size fathead minnow and in the windy spots we switched to a 1/8th oz jig for better feel. Using a slip-bobber rig was also effective over deep holes and around cribs. On stained lakes fish were most active in the 3-8 foot range and in clear water lakes the fish were a bit deeper as we caught a lot holding in about 12-15 feet of water.

Working the jig slow and low off the bottom and in and around any cover was the key. You may lose a few jigs by working close to logs and stumps but the payoff is worth the extra effort of retying. Look for the action to improve as the water warms and the weeds continue to grow.

Good luck and fish hard this season!

Chas Martin
www.muskymastery.com

joe1680
05-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Nice start to the season! I will be heading up there the 25th of May with a group of 10. Do you think the walleye pattern will be the same as last year on the Chain around that time? Any tips on opening day musky on the ER Chain. I'm looking forward to getting up there.

Thanks,

Joe

Chas Martin
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Joe,

It is tough to say what the walleye pattern will be three weeks from now because of unpredictable weather and its effect on the water temperature. Early in the season we can see some extreme fluctuations in water surface temperature due to very cold nights or very hot, windy days. As you know this plays a big role in regard to how a lake's ecosystem develops throughout the season. Walleye, along with all other species, should be relating heavily to weed structure around Memorial Day weekend. Look to find walleye on the Eagle River Chain or Three Lakes Chain in 3 to 10 feet of water. The most consistent producer is the 1/16th oz jig tipped with a large fathead minnow. Leeches may work at this time too if the water is warm enough.

For muskie I generally like to throw bucktails, crankbaits, and glide baits – lures that I can work quickly and efficiently over a large area. You don’t necessarily have to throw small lures early in the season but medium size baits are often the best producers for early season action on the ERC. As always, I suggest fishing areas with good baitfish concentrations so pay close attention to your electronics.

Good luck and fish hard!

Chas Martin
www.muskymastery.com