PDA

View Full Version : Reports?

hawkeye9
04-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Just wondering how muskie fishing has been.

I started fishing for bluegills two weeks ago and can't stop. I've put the filets of more than 600 in the freezer so far (I've had someone in the boat with me on a few occiasions). All of them that are kept are 8"ers or better. All from a public body of water that'll have to remain unnamed (well, actually two public bodies of water). I like bluegills better than crappie for the dinner plate. I've done this for about the last 8 years or so. The freezer gets pretty packed, but it lasts me through the rest of the year. I'd guess before I'm done in a couple of weeks I'll have at least 1000 more. (In case you're concerned) Lots of the females get thrown back as "seed" even when they're big enough for the fillet knife. Again, been doing it for several years and the average 'gill size has only increased, so I'm not hurting the fishery any at all. The cool weather has kept the females' eggs bright yellow, so we'll have another two or three weeks before they spawn, I'm guessing (depending on the weather).

Anyway, I'll leave the "bait" alone soon and get back to muskie fishing before it's time to spend the warm months bass fishing. Just wondering if the fish have turned back on after the spawn. Any reports?

Good Luck and hope your nets have been wet!

dnvarese
04-29-2010, 05:22 AM
They must not have possession limits in your state. Here in Wisconsin, possession limit is usually 2 times the daily limit.