PDA

View Full Version : Rear Butt Section Too Short

catchandrelease
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Alright, I made a comment the other day about the rear butt section being too short. I know Ty is in agreement with me, anyone else in?

Snizz
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I use my elbow for leverage while doing a figure eight, and use the rod butt for casting. I have never used a rod with an extended butt so I don't know if I would like more length...I do know that when i ordered my custom rod, Lonnie asked me how long I wanted the end and just replied with "normal".

What's the average length 14"?

catchandrelease
04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure what the average is. I said majority of non-custom rods are between 14 and 16. Here's some that I found.

8' XH Shimano Compre: 14"
8'6" and 9'3" Okuma EVx: 16"
9' Mike Hulbert Rod: 15"

I have never used the Hulbert or the EVx, but I have used the Compre. I find it difficult to get good leverage with it, especially with heavy baits. I bought an 8'6" XH Maina rod because it has a screw in butt section which adds around 2 inches, making it 17 inches. It is way easier to cast Bulldawgs with that than the Compre. The Compre feels like it could fly out of your hands. Anyone know how long the St. Croix rods are?

Snizz
04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Have you used a split grip rod? I ordered that on my 9footer for casting those cowgirls...Actually, I just liked the look of the split grip and that's why I got it...I have never cast with one :P

catchandrelease
04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
I have a split grip bass rod, but I have never used one for muskies.

Ty Sennett
04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
The Bulldawg rod I just ordered has an 18 inch handle to make casting easy and balance it out. Most of the bucktail rods I use are in the 16 to 18 inch range.