PDA

View Full Version : Birds at Ford River

raywriter
04-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I drove across the Ford River bridge today on M-35 about 3 p.m. and observed about one hundred gulls as well as a dozen or so cormorants that seemed to be working some fish. I suppose it was a run of suckers, or maybe a few smelt? Anyone got any ideas?

upfisherman98
04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
This time of year is full of minnows , like super packed .

Capt. Keith Wils
04-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Subject: Fish Plant in Ford R.
To: "Darren Kramer" <kramerd@michigan.gov>
Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 4:32 PM

Hi Darren,
My brother told me he saw lots of dead fish in the water by the boat launch on the Ford River yesterday and they looked like trout! I went to investigate what kind of fish they were and witnessed about 500 Cormorants and an equal number of Gulls feeding on the planted fish. Myself and another car scared the birds off the fish and I tried later to take pictures of the predation, but the cormorants had moved to off the mouth of the river.

Dave Westerberg

peanutbutter soup
04-17-2010, 03:56 PM
raywriter, those wern't suckers in the ford....the dnr planted 18000 plus german brown fingerlings in the river. to bad out tax money goes to feed the cormerants.:(

Tightlip
04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Cormorants and Asian Carp will keep our Great fishery going strong another booming spring fishery year! usually only have to drive 70 miles from here to catch a fish.

Tightlip
04-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh ya I forgot about the slot limit thing and a few nets too. Were off to a great year!

Ifishok
04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Do they put the fish in the water during the day or night?

They planted the Manistique River in the middle of the day, it took so long to dump the fish almost seemed like they waited for the birds to come.

pikeman
04-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Nothing a case of beer and a couple of guys with shotguns can't cure.

The Bait Shop Guy
04-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Well unfortunately, that's not a LEGAL option for us just yet. It is legal to harass the birds on the water, but you have to notify the DNR before doing so. If you witness a flock of 'rants out on the bays, contact Dave Westerberg with their location (906) 786-3950. He has a number of people lined up that are willing to go out and chase them off.

tomjohn
04-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Find where the rants are nesting, but don't break the eggs because they will keep on laying their eggs. Instead...Take a spray bottle filled with vegetable oil and spray the eggs. This way they will sit on the eggs long enough that they will not lay anymore. The oil prevents the eggs from hatching.

wunderbread
04-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Several years ago I witnessed the Hatchery truck dumping Browns in the Bark River. It was early Spring and the river was open but the lake ice had not yet left. They were about 300yds upstream from the mouth where about half of the river water was flowing up on top of the ice, as well as about half of the young trout. Talk about easy pick-ens for the gulls. The spectacle of birds was like something out of a Hitchcock film. That was $ well spent! Sounds Like they haven't learned much from their mistakes in the last 20 yrs. Keep up the good work guys.

The Bait Shop Guy
04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I was mistaken as far as notifying the DNR about harassment efforts. Notification is NOT needed to harass the birds at this time. When we are able to use lethal means in the future, THEN we will have to notify. As I said before, that is not currently a legal option for sportsmen.

Below are a couple emails from today between myself and Dave Westerberg - the BDNGLSF "point man" on this subject -

Hi, Right Chris, only when we use lethal means will we have to notify the law.

The email I sent about Ford River was forwarded to Kelly Smith (DNR), Pete Butchko (F&W) Tony Aderman (F&W) and several legislators by Larry Meiers (who is the lead contact person on Cormorant control).

Dave

--- On Sun, 4/18/10, Chris and Diane <baitshop2@chartermi.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: bird harassment
To: "otee" <otee739@yahoo.com>
Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks Dave, will do. I thought we had to notify the DNR first. Was that only when, (and if,) we start using lethal means?

CHRIS
----- Original Message -----
To: Chris and Diane
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: bird harassment

Chris, I could not enter anything on the site, could you put this on there?
It is legal to harass the birds to keep them off fish anytime. We cannot use lethal harassment at this time. The Fish & Wildlife people have ok'd this - we don't have to ask permission from anyone - if you witness birds feeding on spawning fish or newly planted fish, please chase them and notify C. Dave Westerberg at 399-7741 or 786-3950, or otee739@yahoo.com

--- On Sun, 4/18/10, Chris and Diane <baitshop2@chartermi.net> wrote:

Subject: bird harassment
To: "Dave Westerberg" <otee739@yahoo.com>
Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 11:05 AM

Hi Dave. There is currently a discussion on the Bays de Noc fishing site http://www.baysdenoc.com/fishing-reports.shtml about the birds chowing down on all the trout planted at the Ford River. Keith posted a copy of the email you sent to Kramer, and I told people they could contact you if they see any birds out on the water. I'm not sure if you are registered to post on the site, but if you are, could you go on there to fill people in on what they can and cannot do to harass them.

Thanks,

CHRIS WAHL

springfield
04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I talked to the DNR while they were planting the Lakers down in Traverse. I asked way they were planting in the middle of the day with the Gulls (50 minimum) chowing down on the laker minnows. They told me the State wont pay over time to plant at night. Then another old man asked why the dont plant under the ice & they didnt know why but thought it was a good idea.

Eyegetr
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Settle down sportsmen and women. Probably just a feeding program to help sustain the comorant population seeing as thoe they have cleaned the bay out of anything under 15 inches. Just another example of our license fees hard at work.

jerkbait
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey guys launched at the ford and saw a few gulls waiting for trout to surface and only a couple cormorants. As I cleared the mouth I noticed the remainder of them were out in the lake in 5' or less of water. Gulls, Cormorants, an osprey, and a bald eagle were all at the buffet. I guess it was still the all you can eat german quisene. I trolled south staying in 10 or less and caught 0 splake and browns. I did see quite a few big walleyes layin on the bottom in 10' water most didnt even flinch as my shadows moved by. A few spooked. Saw a couple of larger fish two not sure what they were maybe carp at least one had a large white blotch on its back. Also saw a few huge dead walleyes layin on the bottom. Beautiful day on the water a little chill early but warmed up nicely. Be careful if your launching anything bigger than 14' due to the low water in the mouth my motor hit the sand a few times in and out. didnt see any dead heads either.

Good luck out there
26 days and counting!