PDA

View Full Version : Where are the musky?

Anzomcik
04-15-2010, 08:15 PM
This spring has been really different in terms of weather than i have fished in the past. Alot of the lakes i fish the water temps are up around 60 or above. They have been there for a while also.

So what has a bigger influence of the musky spawn, water temps or (for lack of a better term, i am sure every one will understand what i mean) Calander/moon phases. I do know that muskys do not have calanders or can read, but the + or - week or two kinda ball park

I do know where all the bass are at, eating my musky baits!

Ivan
04-16-2010, 06:12 AM
From what I know and have experienced, muskie spawn is triggered soley by water temp. Low to mid 50's is where there usually start. I haven't been on the water since last weekend, but the water temps where I was fishing in NW PA were low 50's in the morning (like 51). I think the morning temp is a more accurate reading because we are reading surface temps. When you get sun beating down during the day, the surface temp can increase to mid 50's or maybe even near 60 as of yesterday, but the water underneath is still a little cooler. We caught a 43.5 and a 44 last Sat that were definately still prespawn. I think depending on your location and water temp, the majority of the muskies in our lakes are starting to spawn now and probably will be for the next couple weeks. Remember that not all the fish will spawn at the same exact time.

I have liked this spring so far...better than that crappy, cold spring we had last yr. I hope we continue this nice, stable, warm spring and get a really hot and dry July and August. That usually helps the type of fishing I like to do.

Adam A.

Anzomcik
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
I did alot better fishing last spring, that cold wet slow spring we did real good. Best spring i ever had.

Ivan
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Maybe we should compare notes offline and fish each others places and techniques depending on the spring and weather conditions.