PDA

View Full Version : One Of Those Special Springs?????

Frank Walsh
04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
About 10 or so year ago, we had the combination of very low, and very clear water at ice out. It was an incredible experience. You could bass fish your favorite musky structure, and it was like being in an aquarium. You could see every nook and cranny to better learn the structure, and sometimes explain why it was so good.

I know Dick took advantage of it, and if I'm not mistaken, Jack Burns even video taped some of his favorite spots.

Now that the ice is out, and I'm down there reconnecting the docks, I can see by the water level and clarity, it looks like the more fortunate of us will get another chance to repeat this phenomenon.

Lucky me............

dpear
04-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Me too!!!
It doesn't matter in many spots-a bay is a bay,a weedbed is a weedbed-but on some it makes a huge difference.Often explains the 'spot on a spot' and gives you new ones as well.:)

anglefisherman
04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Me three!!!!
Ranger went in the water Sat.

Frank Walsh
04-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Going......going.........

Illinois Dennis
04-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Looks like the really great fishermen are going to get yet another heavy dose of "wisdom" and "experence" this spring. Just how good can a person get???
(person, not pearson)

DBLANCK
04-14-2010, 01:37 AM
That is an awesome picture of the ice. I loved low-water years up there so that you could really learn some of the spots more in depth. I am very jealous haha.

Frank Walsh
04-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Come from this website:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

Changes daily. You have to remember that the ice out is three weeks early.

However, just checked the Water Control Board weekly statement:

The current level of Lake of the Woods is 322.45 m (1057.9 ft), a 40th percentile level for this time of year. The lake level declined 1 cm (1/2 in) over the past week is expected to decline 1-3 cm (about 1 in) over the next week.

Lake of the Woods outflow was reduced on Monday, April 12th from 400 to 350 m³/s. This will result in a decline in Winnipeg River levels immediately below Kenora of about 12 cm (5 in).

The level of Lac Seul is 354.78 m (1164.0 ft), a 55th percentile level for this time of year. The lake level declined 8 cm (3 in) over the past week and is expected to decline 2-5 cm (1-2 in) over the next week.

Due to unscheduled maintenance at the hydroelectric generating stations at Ear Falls, Lac Seul outflow was reduced from 385 to about 100 m³/s late Sunday evening, April 11th. Outflow is to be adjusted on Monday afternoon, April 12th to 200 m³/s, superceding the planned outflow reduction to 300 m³/s.

Looking at this chart, it's not too far out of whack for this time of year. But it still should be melting and running off, so barring any unusual precipitation, should start off very low.

Frank Walsh
04-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Come from this website:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

Changes daily. You have to remember that the ice out is three weeks early.

However, just checked the Water Control Board weekly statement:

The current level of Lake of the Woods is 322.45 m (1057.9 ft), a 40th percentile level for this time of year. The lake level declined 1 cm (1/2 in) over the past week is expected to decline 1-3 cm (about 1 in) over the next week.

Lake of the Woods outflow was reduced on Monday, April 12th from 400 to 350 m³/s. This will result in a decline in Winnipeg River levels immediately below Kenora of about 12 cm (5 in).

The level of Lac Seul is 354.78 m (1164.0 ft), a 55th percentile level for this time of year. The lake level declined 8 cm (3 in) over the past week and is expected to decline 2-5 cm (1-2 in) over the next week.

Due to unscheduled maintenance at the hydroelectric generating stations at Ear Falls, Lac Seul outflow was reduced from 385 to about 100 m³/s late Sunday evening, April 11th. Outflow is to be adjusted on Monday afternoon, April 12th to 200 m³/s, superceding the planned outflow reduction to 300 m³/s.

Looking at this chart, it's not too far out of whack for this time of year. But it still should be melting and running off, so barring any unusual precipitation, should start off very low.

Frank Walsh
04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Think we can defer the ice conversation until next December.

DBLANCK
04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
now that is a beautiful picture

Frank Walsh
04-15-2010, 07:39 AM
You should see it up close.

jlong
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Will Side-Imaging Sonar diminish the mystique of some productive musky spots... or this type of exploratory missions?

dpear
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi J.Not for me-at least anymore.I'm definitely a 'mystique' guy but based on what one often finds(or more often doesn't find),it only adds to it.In fact,in many cases it may really add to it and you find yourself asking,'what the heck makes this spot so special?'
Of course,keep in mind a female body in lingerie poses the same issue but that really never became a serious dilemna for me either.Well,upon reflection-it maybe presents a problem at my age.