PDA

View Full Version : Rod and Reel for Musky

SportJet120
04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I am new as far as fishing for musky goes. I am looking to purchase a rod and reel. For the rod I was thinking a St.Croix Premier Musky Rod 7' HMF. I am 5'6 tall, would the 7.5' be a better choice?
As far as the reel goes, I like the low profile BC reels. I was really looking close at the Revo Winch. I like the smaller 50 series but unsure of the gear ratio. I'm thinking the 4.6:1 would be more user friendly when cranking heavy blade baits all day. It also seems the the 4.6:1 is harder to find. Would the 5.4:1 work for musky baits. I looking the best all round choice without buying two reels. I would say most of my fishing we be in the upper Allegheny. I have so much to learn and any advice and info is really appreciated. Gary

catchandrelease
04-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Do not buy anything under 7'6". I would recommend an 8' or 8'6" because you can make much wider figure-8s without even trying. The 6-12" doesn't sound like much of a difference, but you will be amazed in how much easier it makes it. The longer rods will also yield longer casts. St. Croix's are awesome, just a little expensive. Ask Red Childress (PA Musky) about them. Shimano Compre's are pretty good for the money. Lots of good reviews for the Okuma EVx rods as well. Plenty of people are using 9' so you may want to consider that size too.

As far at the reel goes, i think the revo toro winch is perfect. The wider 60 may be a better option. Ask Red about those too. Most people prefer round baitcasters for muskies. But with the Shimano Curado E and Revo Toro lines everything about baitcasters has changed. They have better drags, longer handles, and wider spools than the baitcasters from the past. I expect more and more people to be using low-profile baitcasters in the near future.

Anzomcik
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I am new as far as fishing for musky goes. I am looking to purchase a rod and reel. For the rod I was thinking a St.Croix Premier Musky Rod 7' HMF. I am 5'6 tall, would the 7.5' be a better choice?
As far as the reel goes, I like the low profile BC reels. I was really looking close at the Revo Winch. I like the smaller 50 series but unsure of the gear ratio. I'm thinking the 4.6:1 would be more user friendly when cranking heavy blade baits all day. It also seems the the 4.6:1 is harder to find. Would the 5.4:1 work for musky baits. I looking the best all round choice without buying two reels. I would say most of my fishing we be in the upper Allegheny. I have so much to learn and any advice and info is really appreciated. Gary

It seems to me you have a good idea of what you want. Me personally, i like a 7'6" rod as an all around rod. One that can handle 1-4oz baits. I have many rods and the one i use for the most general purpose is my med/heavy 7'6". 8' rods are good also but i find them in some cases to be a little much for some types of fishing. I do alot of bank fishing when its colder and the extra inches makes a difference to me in the thick brush.

As for reels, i love my curado 300's. I know thats not the reel you are lookin at but there is a purpose of me telling you i like those reels is because they have a 6.2 to 1 ratio. Faster ratios work for the way i fish, maybe others might say it is to fast... but they are built like tanks (both shimino's and Abu's, I own both) I use my curados reels to do everything i do, jerk/glide baits, big rubber, bucktails small to dc10s, crank/ twitch baits, trolling... everything. I can not burn the big bucktails in super fast but i can get them going pretty good, and the reels have been very good for me. The abu you thinking of will last for years, so again my opinion go for the faster ratio. For a all around reel i think the Revo toro 50 in the 5.4 to 1 would make an excellent "do all" reel.

Good luck, buying stuff is alot of fun!

Red Childress
04-09-2010, 05:01 AM
You can find the Revo Winch on Ebay pretty easily. I just bought the 61HS from there yesterday for pulling jerks/glides "with the current" because of the extra slack that is created.

I have the Winch and really like it for pulling baits with lots of drag, namely big blades. I am not so sure that I would designate the Winch as my "all-around" reel because you will really have to crank faster to work your twitch/crank/jerk/glide baits. The reel style and ratio will be a personal choice matter depending on hand size and types of baits generally used by you.

As for the rods, if you like the 7.5 length, the Premier line offers a 2-6 ounce rod that might be just what you are looking for. That rod will handle most musky baits excluding Mag Dawgs/Pounders. It is hard for me to recommend a particular rod. If you are going to be fishing out of a boat, I would go with a 8 to 9 ft. rod for reasons already mentioned. If "bushwacking" muskies from shore, the 7.5 might be something you would like. I would still go with an 8 to 9 footer in either circumstance but I am 6 feet tall.

The money factor is also a big consideration too. There are much cheaper rod and reel choices out there.

H2O wolf
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
You already got some great advice on here, but what we don't know is shore or boat fishing? If you are boat fishing I second a longer rod at least 8ft, and as mentioned the winch is probably not a good all purpose reel. I have the toro 5.4 and it's a good all around reel. You also get some free shades if you send in the rebate on the revo and they are pretty decent.

RapRunR
04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I use an 8' and i fish from shore. I agree also that 8' or more is better to maintain good control of the lure with the figure 8's. I do however have to watch out for that bushwhacking, lol. It really isn't much of a problem though as long as i'm paying close attention.

SportJet120
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys for the helpful info. I will be fishing out of a boat. (Tracker 18' I/B jet). I'm going this Sun to look at the Premier rods and the Toro Winch. After listening to the advice and being a beginner, I'm now thinking a 7.5 or 8' MHF and the 5.4:1 Winch. I want to see them and see how they feel. As far as line goes what would you guys load with? Thanks Gary

Anzomcik
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I used power pro in the past, but last year switched to Suffix, when it time to respool i will be going all to Sufix. I like 80lb

H2O wolf
04-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I was just looking on the st croix site. I'd go with the 8' H. The medium 8' is only rated up to 3 oz baits and altough that may seem big to a newbie you will be throwing larger baits before you know it. You will probably outgrow the heavy rod too as it goes up to 6oz. A think a regular bulldawg wheighs 8oz but you can probably throw it on the heavy rod. But not mag dawgs

SportJet120
04-11-2010, 01:54 AM
I see what you mean. I looked at some of the baits and was surprised at the weight. I agree now 3 oz is light.I'm now thinking 8' heavy. the more you ask the more you learn.Hope I'm not being a pain in the ***. I also see that St.Croix only has a 5 year warranty were many others are lifetime. I had someone tell me to look at Musky Innovation rods and also Reaction Strike. Could any one give me their opinion on these? Thanks Gary

Red Childress
04-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Premier Series is a 5-year warranty and Legend Tournament Series is lifetime.

Anzomcik
04-11-2010, 09:05 AM
You need to ask yourself what kind of price range are you lookin? That will help narrow down some rods.

I have/still own(ed) gander mtn rods those are great rods for the money, around 100$.

I own some of the new tooth tamer rods (not Fig Rig, new company) I love these rods. They have the synthetic cork, it looks so real you can not tell, but it has a grippyness to it that helps my hands after a long day. Priced 130-150$

Finally i own a few croix premier's once again great rods, my only problem with them is, well my wife stole them from me and told me they are hers, and i cant use them :( (she loves her croixs, thats about all she uses) really cant say to much bad about croixs. 150-200$

Those are the rods i have fished with, i like every one i have. Again it is a personal issue but that has been the story of the rods i owned and used.