PDA

View Full Version : spartansburg lake, sparty lake anyone know of it?

McDunnoftheAllegheny
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
My friend and I were thinking about going down to spartansburg lake this weekend we hear theres pike and largemouth. Anyone know anything about it, I'm curious about the fishing, boat launchs, anything really. I looked on the web and didn't find any info on it.

SportJet120
04-08-2010, 01:16 AM
You must be talking about Clear Lake or better know as Clear Lake Park. It is located in Spartansburg, Crawford Co. Clear Lake is a very old lake built back in the 1800's drained and refilled around 1990. This 116 acre lake holds Bluegill, Crappie, Bass, and some Pike. The lake is very shallow around 10ft at the deepest. The average is 5-6Ft and has lots of weeds during the summer months. I understand fishing was much better years back. I don't know much about a boat launch but you can call Spartansburg Borough at 814-654-7451. Good luck and hope you catch something toothy !.....gary

McDunnoftheAllegheny
04-08-2010, 02:44 PM
thanks for the info, I'm gonna go check it out but if it's a bust i'm gonna head over to canandota i hear theres tiger musky stocked in there

Anzomcik
04-08-2010, 02:54 PM
thanks for the info, I'm gonna go check it out but if it's a bust i'm gonna head over to canandota i hear theres tiger musky stocked in there

Sorry to burst your bubble, no tigers are stocked in Canandota, just good old pure strain.

Sparty pond has alot of hammer handle pike from what i hear. never fished it but i worked with a guy how does. Alot of pike is what i keep hearing.

Good luck

McDunnoftheAllegheny
04-08-2010, 03:03 PM
oh well musky are musky and thats what Im really after. thanks for the info

SportJet120
04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
They had taken some nice Pike out of Canandota thru the ice this winter during the tournaments. Check with the baitshop there, I remember the name of it.

lowbidder
04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Sounds like a lake in our parts of the state called "Cranberry Glade". It's always been known as a good place for hammer handle pike and big largemouths, but they've never stocked musky in it. Last year some kid about 12 years old pulled out a 4 foot musky and got his picture in the local paper. Unfortunately, the picture was taken in his driveway.

Polish_Pike
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I've caught some respectable bass out of that lake in Spartansburg. Not as exciting as the Saturday night barn raiser special at the Dutch Treat restaurant though. In that area, for my money, I'd hit the Union City reservoir on Rt 6 just east of town. The guy at the hatchery said there are some real slobs in that tiny little body of water. Unpowered boats only which sucks. I guess they've thrown quite a few fish in there which included some brood stock fish taken from Pymy, Canadohta, and I think he said LaBeouf.

Polish_Pike
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
The Baitshop at Canadohta is called Timberland Bait. Dutch Hill rd near Happi Jax ice cream kinda. Jerry is the owner and has the latest scoop on the lake usually. 3 proven fish spots at Canadohta are the South End towards the dam, it's kinda rocky so watch the prop...a big fat weedbed directly behind Sally's Place, and near the deepest hole in the lake surprisingly close to the beach's diving platform. Amish love to fish not far past the swimming buoys around the park point of the lake. I've either moved fish in those spots or saw people hook up. Saw a couple Amish guys try to boat a mid-40's class fish with no net once. I was laughing my butt off when it came unbuttoned and they almost fell out of the boat trying to get that fish. Corn Cob pipe in his mouth the whole time. I knew that fish would have been tossed in the back of the buggy if they caught it so we kinda forgot to offer them a net from my nearby craft.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
04-11-2010, 07:11 PM
well I went up to canadohta today got there early didn't get anything but I learned a valuable lesson, if your going somewhere to seriously fish for musky don't take an impatient fisherman with you I was on the water for about 2 hours and my friend wanted to go cause we weren't catching fish. so we went to clear lake, was there an hour and it was time to go again. I'm going back to up there again most likely alone so I can really get down to business, and clear lake fyi isn't worth the time in my opinion.

esox31
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I was there also in the green/white crestliner . I didn't have a sniff from any type of fish and I didn't stay very long either . I hate being restricted to elect. motor only since I don't have a 9.9 on my boat . I would have stayed a couple more hours if I could have trolled the lake . The weeds were still ugly and the water temp was still only 50 to 51 degrees . The lake level was also still very low a lot of docks were high and dry . On a good note about Canadohta was that they built a new launch there's a new ramp and a dock on the side it's very shallow but I think that will be fixed by raising the water levels with the dam . I'll stick to leBeouf for this early season musky fishing .

Lance McFeely
"THE FERD"

McDunnoftheAllegheny
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
I've always been curious about lebeouf, I've fished it before a few years ago before I became a musky nut, any info on it?

esox31
04-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Lebeouf is a very small lake and is very prone to flooding early in the year . I fished it two weeks ago and the water was very dirty but it was already at 54 degrees ! There are some really nice fish in that lake but it's a tough nut to crack . I have had luck casting Leos and glidebaits around the shorelines . I have seen a local guy there catch fish often he trolls the lake in a small boat with an elect. motor and long lines husky jerks and pulls in some nice fish . I actully got to talk to him in the parking lot once and he said the husky jerk was his bait of choice but he had some bigger lures still wet hanging in his boat ? It has unlimited horsepower on the lake but no wake the entire lake .

Lance McFeely
"THE FERD"

Red Childress
04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Lake LeBeouf really gets hot during mid to late-summer. Just be careful with mortality under those conditions.