PDA

View Full Version : 9.9 motor restriction fine ?

esox31
04-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I am courious as to what the fine is for running a bigger motor in a 9.9 lake or a gas motor in a elect. only lake ? My reason for asking is that i had a heck of a time loading my boat on my trailor last year on a very windy day on a elct. only lake . I normally drive my boat on the trailor and I am very good and fast at that . If i cranked up the motor just to put the boat on the trailor would I get pinched for that and how much would the fine be ?

Lance McFeely
"THE FERD"

Anzomcik
04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I really do not know, but i do the same. Electric is difficult to do when your use to driving on with gas, in the wind.

From the Warrdens i have seen and talked to they drive 60hp motors on 9.9 lakes, and 35hp on electric lakes, not saying that everyone can do it but for under 15 secounds i think you can talk your way out of trouble. I have not had to yet though

SportJet120
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
The fine for running a larger than limited motor on a Pa lake is $300 +. I also would like to fire up the O/B to load. I am sure it would cause quit a comotion from other fisherman. Being fined or not would be truly be up to the Fish Commission and some are really nice and some are not. Is it worth chancing? Not for me. Gary

H2O wolf
04-07-2010, 08:56 AM
You would probably get a different response from different officers but I talked with somebody in southwest pa about this on highpoint lake which is elec only. They said they would rather see you use your gas motor to get on the trailer than damage your boat by missing the trailer and hitting rocks. that lake is notorious for high winds though.

Anzomcik
04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
I want to clear up my first post a bit, i read it over and did not like how i came across.

If the lake is electric only, i will do everything i can to load the boat with electric. If it comes to be i am just beating my head against the wall i will fire up the small kicker to get me on well enough to winch it on. I would never run the lake with gas to save battery.

Also the same would go for 9.9 lakes, if i did not have a kicker.

Here is a question for everyone, why is there 9.9 regs on some lakes? I know they do not want jerks to be pullin tubes on small lakes i see that. Couldnt they just make all the 9.9 lakes a "no wake" lake? That will keep the people who "plow" all day with there 9.9 inline and everyone can enjoy the water.

Also why did they move pmy to 20 hp? I thought that was silly, i think they should have gone to 25. Only reason i say that is to keep the regs more unified. 25 is the hp limits for children and adults born after 1982 (unless taken the coarse, and got their card) So why not make the hp cut off for pmy the same as a law in effect already, just match them up. i know they really are not related but having those numbers not the same does not make sence in my brain.

toothyfishman
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I would think that if you were having problems and you had to fire the main motor because of wind to load they would look the other way. Expecially if you explained the situation. I know I have problems coming into the trailer slow when you need to steer. Coming in at a faster pace doesn't seem to be a problem, but fighting wind then your back to steering.

They may not like the power loading burst of the big motor and I think I'd avoid that. If the rest of your safety gear, lis, registation, etc etc...he or she would have to be quite a prick to pinch you for running it 50 feet to load.
I think I'd start out the approach with the right tone of voice and manner and set the conversation up right.

I haven't really run into any that were that brutal, hey if I had something wrong or not legal that is my fault even though I thought they were being jerks in the back of my mind I knew I was in the wrong. I've been let off on a good number of things over the years that they could of knit picked on, small things. Overall, I'd say they do a good job.

Army Corp of Engineers patrol boats.........that's a differnet story