PDA

View Full Version : Fishing UP- Wisconsin boundary waters.

Jim L
04-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi guys,

Hope you are enjoying the great spring weather. I haven't really had the desire to pursue spawning muskies in the UP but with the weather we have been having and the late start to the musky season in Wisconsin I might give it a try. They should be done spawning and recuperated by then.

Do you need a Michigan license to fish the Cisco chain on the Michigan side for muskies? The season up there starts May 15 and muskie season starts here in Wisconsin May 29. That would give me 2 extra weeks of muskie fishing. I know I could buy a non-resident license but if I can save $30 that would be great.

According to the Wisconsin regs I should be able to fish on the Wisconsin side of the boundary waters on May 15. Is that how you interpret the rule?

Mark Benson
04-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Jim L:

You can fish Big, West Bay and Mamie on the WI side, anything else and you need the MI license. You can get a day pass for $7.

Mark

Jim L
04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Mark,

That is what I thought too but when I checked the regs online this is what I got. Am I missing something?

From Wisconsin 2010 fishing regulations:

Wisconsin residents need a Wisconsin fishing license and a Michigan resident needs a Michigan fishing license to fish these waters. Residents of
other states need a nonresident license from Wisconsin or Michigan. Regulations on these waters differ between the two states. You must obey the
regulation of the state in which you are fishing.

From Michigan 2010 regulations:

All persons holding a valid resident or nonresident sport fishing license issued by Michigan or Wisconsin may fish the entire area of a border water regardless of the state-line boundary.