PDA

View Full Version : Ice Conditions in Morson

Justin Gaudry
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I ran up to the lake this past Sunday and found most of the snow completely gone. There was just a little bit left here and there in areas that the sun doesn't get to.

Ice conditions were looking pretty weak. There was a small pocket of open water under the bridge in Morson as well as a little open water on the shorelines in our bay.

There was a life lost when a snowmobile went through the ice a couple of days ago. I also heard that someone went through on a 4 wheeler on the river this past week just before the ice went out on Tues/Wed.

Please be careful out there, everyone. Getting out there for one or two more fish through the ice is just not worth it.

Justin Gaudry
03-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Ran up again on Saturday to pick up the Pooh Boat and bring her into Rainy River. Check the gear oil and battery level so we can launch in the river and try to drag up some prehistoric fish in the coming weeks.

Ice conditions deteriorated quite a bit in the last week. When I pulled into the resort, a friend had burried the front end of his quad in our boat ramp when he rolled forward instead of backing up when he was looking at the bay. OOPS!! I always carry a tow strap in the truck so we yanked him out before his feet froze and fell off.

Open water under the bridges in the reserve and Morson. Some slop in the back of the bay in the shallow area.

Reports of more people going through the ice this past week or two as well.

It's long past time to stay off the ice for the winter. Be safe and smart.

Now fish is worth putting yourrself at risk that way.

Enjoy the coming warming trend!

Justin Gaudry
04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I talked to my Brother after he had been up to the lake on Friday. He said there was about 50 feet of open water out from the shore in "the gap" and that our bay itself was looking like honeycomb all over.

We had some rain on Friday that likely softened it up quite a bit as well.

Justin Gaudry
04-12-2010, 11:03 PM
i was out to the lake wed, april 7 and the ice was out of the bay. reports from morson over the weekend still had ice packed in hard to the west of the gap.

it sure was strange to see the bay open so early. I don't remember it being anywhere near that early in all the springs I have been up there since I graduated from high school in 1995.

Paul F
04-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Justin

Looks like the spawn will be early this year, it's a good thing, last year was really late. What is the water level like? Do I need to start to worry about those rocks this year?

Keep the updates coming.

Paul

Justin Gaudry
04-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey Paul,

A little on the low side to start. Not much rain or snow to end the winter and start the spring.

Always have to worry about rocks on LOTW, EH!!

Everyone should have 6214/6215 hyrdographic maps for our area in the boat.

DO NOT RELY SOLELY IN GPS. was withing a few inches of water level or change in wind direction to losing a couple friends last year because a rock was not marked on the GPS software.

Fishing hot spots maps are NOT, NOT, NOT good for navigating.

Hinch
04-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Justin,

That wouldn't have been a couple guys in October, would it? Just got the skeg fixed, and the prop touched up. Definitely a good idea to cross reference the paper map with any gps chip! Safety first!

Jeff

Justin Gaudry
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey Hinchy,

Yeah as a matter of fact it was October. They were out in some big water too if I remember right. Would have been no chance in that cold water that time of year.

You were luky to only have minor repairs after that one.

Very good idea to cross reference. We sell a lot of those maps every year. They are a great INVESTMENT.

How did you make out at the big sale over the weekend? What specs did you go with on the Predator? You will love it I'm sure.

Shorelunch
04-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey Hinchy,

Yeah as a matter of fact it was October. They were out in some big water too if I remember right. Would have been no chance in that cold water that time of year.

You were luky to only have minor repairs after that one.

Very good idea to cross reference. We sell a lot of those maps every year. They are a great INVESTMENT.

How did you make out at the big sale over the weekend? What specs did you go with on the Predator? You will love it I'm sure.

Where did this happen? I agree the Hotspots maps are worthless. Can't beat the Hydrographic paper map and a newer GPS map.

Justin Gaudry
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
hinchy used up one of his nine out in the little traverse. marked plain as day on the 6215 map so no worries if you are using that as your navigating aid.