PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal lure changes

Trav
03-15-2010, 09:41 AM
I've never had much success with early season fishing. So what are some good early, cold water lures. I'm guessing smaller and slower, but any suggested lure types? Gliders? Small cranks?

Also, at what point (roughly) does this transition into the summer pattern? Of course, trial and error helps, but anyone have any rough numbers (water temp? times of summer?)?

Thanks

Trav

Ty Sennett
03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
It's different in this area because our season starts later than in other areas. Some years we are already into the summer bucktail and topwater pattern. On years when the water temp is cold I use smaller stuff like Rapala Husky Jerks and small Phantom gliders and baby bucktails. I really like it a lot better when the fish are hitting topwater right off the bat. makes for an easier bite than finesse fishing.

I would say any time the water is over 60 degrees that summer patterns are worth trying.

Also this spring small bait tactic doesn't work on clear water whitefish based lakes or any lake that has Leech Lake stain muskies in it. Bulldawgs are great right off the bat on those lakes.

Trav
03-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks Ty, thats the kind of info I was looking for.

One additional question then, for those lakes where Bulldawgs work right away, just "regular" sized Dawgs? Or the smaller ones?

Trav

Ty Sennett
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Actually, the mag dawgs work really good on the deep clear MN lakes. Large gliders have always worked better for me but most of my buddies that guide over there use Bulldawgs early.