PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 3/4 Icefishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Got some beautiful weather to get out and really hunt down some panfish, which is exactly what we're going to do today. Warm weather allows a guy to get out on the ice, punch some holes, and really search. Move fast is the name of the game, 5 minutes a hole is a good rule of thumb till you find a few fish, then you start narrowing down your fishing area... that's the idea anyway and 40 degree weather should make the search easier.

Last week saw some slow perch action, we could see the fish but they just wouldn't go for anything. You could watch down the hole as a nice 8-10 perch would nose up to the bait then drift away... damn fish. Today I'll start working across the deeper mud flats for some perch and perhaps then some "weed punching" for gills n crappies.

Gamefish season has closed on our WI/MI boundary waters but remains open another 3 days on our inland lakes. March 7th is the closing date on those lakes. panfishing is open year-round and now is the time I generally start searching for these critters. "Tip-downs" become a major tool now, especially when I have my search area narrowed down.

Good luck out there, enjoy the warm weather fishing this weekend!

Crypto
03-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Hay Matt.

I bet my auger is coming in handy now...

B coming up this coming weekend, shoulder coming along nicely, no fishin yet, but will be for game fish opener.

See ya.
Dave