PDA

View Full Version : Column: Late-Ice Pike!

Joel DeBoer
03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
The arrival of warmer weather during March, typically the late ice period, provides exciting fishing opportunities. While walleyes, panfish, and northern pike have all provided excellent angling opportunities for the hard-water angler, the action will only improve as spring creeps ever closer!

One of the best times for ice fishing is during the “late ice” period, which begins most often in the Wausau/Central Wisconsin region during the beginning part of March. Of the many available species in our area to pursue, one of my favorites during this period is the northern pike. As the days grow warmer and longer and the ice begins melting, pike activity increases dramatically. Not only does action increase, but also an angler’s odds of catching a trophy-class fish; believe me, there are some truly overlooked trophy class northern pike inhabiting the waters of North-Central Wisconsin!

When looking to target these toothy fiends, look for larger flats containing weeds, wood, or a combination of the two. The best flats early on will be near deeper water, and typically are in depths of eight feet of water or less. As the ice continues to disappear, look for the mouths of bays and marshy backwaters to hold large numbers of northern pike as they migrate in large numbers into shallow water to spawn.

I use Frabill Pro-Thermal Tip-Ups exclusively for this type of shallow water fishing as the design helps to block sunlight from the hole. When fishing in shallow water, unnatural sunlight can make fish spookier, especially in situations with high fishing pressure. In addition, the Pro-Thermal has a large bait clip that acts to hold oversized minnows from creating false trips of the flag. I prefer to rig my shiners or sucker minnows on a Mustad treble hook, matching the size of the hook to the size of the bait. A key to being successful in ice fishing with tip-ups is to understand there is no “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to hooks.

Active bait is important when targeting late-ice gators. Maintaining lively minnows is easily accomplished by keeping their oxygen supply adequate throughout the day. This is can be done using an aerator, such as in a Frabill Aqua-Life bait bucket – fresh bait can make a huge difference! In shallow water, set your bait so that it is well above the weeds or wood. Pike cruising the area will be able to pick-out the struggling meal silhouetted against the ice; you want your presentation to be over them, not under them. Be sure to have a curved forceps along, as well as a jaw spreader to help making the unhooking portion of your day as quick and effortless as possible.

Whether its slab crappies, bull bluegills, gator pike, or big ol’ walleyes, this is a great time of year to be fishing. As exciting as the fishing can be, it’s important to use common sense and to keep a level head. Depending on the body of water, ice conditions will change rapidly with the arrival of warmer and more sustained spring-like weather. I write about this every winter: use your head – if it doesn’t look safe enough, don’t chance it; it’s always better to live to fish another day! I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,

Joel DeBoer
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
A "perk" of fishing the Wisconsin River system of North-Central WI - we can still fish pike and walleyes as our season doesn't close (unlike the majority of the state)!