PDA

View Full Version : Lac Vieux Desert 2/22

Winddrift Dave
02-23-2010, 01:26 AM
The lake is making ice tonight, with current temp +8*. Before the booming(ice formation/expansion) started, I got : 12.5" & 14" eyes in 7 fow , 6:00-7P After the noise erupted, no flags. Current ice is now 18" on north shore. With the 40"s the last few days, the crust has given way to some areas of 12" deep snow which can make travel by truck a little rough.
Someone got a 4WD truck stuck off Duck Point on Sat, as the slush close to the point was starting to bog down even the snowmobiles. Stay to the packed trails farther out, or have good treads.
One week til the game fish seasons ends here on the boundary waters. Been a weird year for the ice. Normally by this time it would be 22" - 30" thick and growing. Just enough snow for insulation.

Jeremy Hopland
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Dave - Does this "less than normal" ice coverage mean we're in for an earlier than usual break-up, thus promoting weed growth earlier in the year? I really liked the level of weed growth we had last year for our visit, it was just about perfect as far as I was concerned. I'm hoping it isn't like two years ago, it was one weedy-booger that summer. See ya in about 16 weeks...