PDA

View Full Version : 50 is the new 40 (HP, that is)

Justin Gaudry
02-21-2010, 11:30 PM
The only issue with the new G3/40 HP rental boat and motor combo was that the bow tended to be a little low in the water. This caused a little more spray and incuded a wet ride in times of higher winds. The manual tilt didn't allow for trimming to keep the bow up when desired. While we could have had the new motor mounted a hole or two higher this season, we decided to try something different for the coming 2010 season.

With the goal of listening/responding to the feedback of our guests and always trying to improve services, facilities and equipment in mind, I chatted with our motor supplier at Tompkins hardware a couple of weeks ago.

The result of the conversation was a decision to lease a 50 HP 4 stroke yahama motor with electic start, efi and electric tilt/trim. The power tilt/trim option will allow great control of the bow when operating the boat and motor. As experienced boaters will already know, the weight of people and gear, as well as the weight distribution through the boat will make a difference in the ride. In a shorter length boat like the 16 foot G3, the weight is usually back loaded to keep the bow a little lighter and out of the water. Being able to adjust the trim and tilt will let the operator find the proper setting for the smoothest ride possible whatever the conditions of the water may be.

The G3 boat itself is rated for up to 60 HP because of the 84 inch beam. While the 40 HP had plenty of power to move around 4 people and gear, we wanted to provide the power/tilt trim option this season and see how our guests like it. I would suggest that running this 50 HP motor wide open won't be necessary, but I'm sure there will be those that want to see what it can do. Remember to be careful out there.

The rental rate of the combo will remain the same as it was with the 40 HP motor.

Paul F
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Justin

I think your guests will really like the new motor Justin, especially if they can stay a little drier.

I don't know about every one else but this has been one long winter here in the midwest. And this angler is ready for spring, and ready for opening day on Lake of the Woods. I can hardly wait for that first hit.

Paul

Justin Gaudry
03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Snow has been melting a bit up here the last few days. I was up to the lake yesterday and there is still plenty of snow around, especially where the plow ridges are.

Looking forward to the spring myself. Hope to get a big sturgeon before I get back to work!

Justin Gaudry
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
We had the 50 HP mounted on the G3 last week and dropped off here at the resort. The weather turned on us so haven't had a chance to get out and take it for a burn yet, but I'm confident it will be a sweet ride.

The electric tilt/trim will give the operator control of the bow so it should help keep it from plowing as it did a bit last year with the 40 HP w/manual trim.