PDA

View Full Version : Powerdrive Vs. Terrova

lowbidder
02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I've been shopping for a new MK with the I-pilot pre-installed and thought I was settled on the powerdrive 70, but now I'm considering a terrova after I read that Minn Kota is offering a $100 manufacturer's mail-in rebate on all the Terrova motors starting 2/15. So I can upgrade from a powerdrive 70 to a terrova 80 for an extra $100 after the rebate. It seems like a no-brainer, but I'm not familiar with the Terrova model.

Seems like there are three big differences between the two:
-Terrova I-pilot comes with a foot pedal while the Powerdrive does not (cannot be added either)
-Terrova has what is advertised as an easy deploy system but the website lacks details on how it works.
-The foot pedal on the terrova is a different layout. I read a post here about the pedals and it seems they both wear out, but hopefully the i-pilot feature will extend it's useful life. Mostly looking for comments on fit & feel.

So does anybody have experience with the Terrova (or both) that could offer an opinion? They would be appreciated!

Red Childress
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Go with the Terrova, period. I never owned a Powerdrive that lasted longer than 18 months but I put some serious hours on my trolling motors. I went through 6 in 10 years but I also only had to buy the initial one because the other 5 were replaced under warranty. The directional motors (left/right) would go first. I picked up a new Terrova in May '08 and it is still working fine.

The foot pedal is different and not as low profile as the PDrive but it lasts much longer and it seems the electrical stuff is much more waterproof and works better in cold weather. I do like the pedal and actually do not even put my entire foot on it....I just use my toes to steer creating much less lower back pain at the end of the day.

Go Terrova. Better warranty as well.

lowbidder
02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Cool... I was worried about the bulk of the foot pedal, but I would gladly trade bulk for reliability. The momentary button on my powerdrive had a "sweet spot" and if you didn't hit it, you weren't moving. Big boots in the winter just compounded the problem.
Thanks,

Mike

JIM T
02-10-2010, 06:15 PM
MY NEW BOAT IS LIKE Red's,and I followed his lead and got the TERROVA.I've gone thru a few electrics in saltwater,they didn't last very long. I didn't get the autopilot with the initial purchase,but I did buy the autopilot and put it in myself,took all of 15 min. definitely go with the terrova and the autopilot.