PDA

View Full Version : larry bird

larry bird
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
my son and i have never fished for muskies. we would like to fish kinkaid this year. could someone let us know what lures and colors we need to buy.

Esox masquinongigantis
01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Lures to cover all seasons and conditions?...You might need to take out a loan.... But some starter lures for this spring might include:
1)Large Rattle Traps (Bill Lewis/R-Trap/Bucher Traps/Producer Rattle Baits/Crash's Rattle baits)
2)Minnowbait (Shallow Raider/Shallow Invader/Jake/Grandma/Big Game)
3)Glidebait (Hellhound/Manta/Phantom)
4)2-4oz Spinnerbait (Nutbuster/Grim Reaper/M&G)
5)Jerkbait (Sledge/Suick/Bert/Reef Hog/Squirko)
6)Shallow Crankbait (SS Shad/Super Shad Rap)
7)Deep Crankbait (Krusher/DDD/Depthraider/Believer)

Starting out, I would choose a bright (firetiger, charteuse with black dots, bright orange with black dots, jailbird, etc) and natural color (shad, cisco) in each bait type. Because there are SO MANY different types of baits in each category I mentioned a few of the lures I own and use on Kinkaid. I think you will find there are a few lures that consistently work for many people on Kinkaid.
Once the postspawn rolls around...you probably want to add some small bucktails, Double 10 bucktails, A walk-the-dog topwater, and a tail spinning topwater.

Before you ever go out to fish for muskies please purchase the following tools:
1)Needle Nose pliers
2)Hook Cutters (Knipex)
3)A large net with a finsaver netting
4)Jawspreaders
(A pair of Chad's Musky Armor gloves also would be beneficial if you have not handled many muskies)

larry bird
01-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Thank You So Much For Helping Us Out. We Really Appreciate The Help.

no limit
01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
IMHO you really wont need a loan to purchase lures.I dont know how much tackle you currently have.

If you have deep diving crank baits 5-6 inch in a shad imitatator colors, its a good start. Smithwick, Storm, and others makes nice lures in dozens of colors around 6 bucks at BPS. If musky fishing isn't your thing these lures can be used for multi species fishing including casting or trolling.

I would suggest trolling Kincaid especially prespawn.Heavy action rod and a quality baitcaster reel.Depending on reel I'd use 20# test with saltwater leader. You'll need expensive reels for heavy or braided line and heavy leaders.

Dont think you need to spend a ton of dough on musky tackle. It's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

I agree with essox, proper tools and net a must for proper catch and release. Please take time to read and understand proper handleing and release.Musky is an incredible fighter but will become distressed and may go belly up if not released properly.

good luck and have fun.

AFchris
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Dang Matt (essox) you pretty much hit the nail on the head. You should write a book tittled "I catch big fish by letting my lure dangle in the water":D

I'm not gunna lie, Musky fishing can be a tough learning curve. Matt pretty much named alot of good baits that produce good fish. I got my butt kicked the first season on kinkaid (a few springs ago). But the key is to hang in there. Don't be afraid to ask other musky guys on the lake whats going on. We seemed to be a little more loose lipped then the bassers.

Let us know how you do and what your musky tactics were after your trips, I'd be glad to help out. Keep in touch

Chris

larry bird
01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
You Guys Don't Know How Much I Appreciate The Help And Support You Have Given Me. I Will Post If I Figure This Thing Out.

ILBOB
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
The best way to get started is to book a day with Chad.