PDA

View Full Version : July at Witch Bay Camp

FishingNovice
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I am thinking about bringing family to camp in July. We would wind up renting a camp boat.

I would assume we will be doing a lot of jigging and some casting.

Can we get live bait at camp or do we have to bring our own?

After the pros mark up our maps for fishing spots (our friends say they do this for us) can we have them give us a tour on the water so we can relate what we see to the maps?

Dick Wilkening
02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Welcome Fish Novice
You are right about your lure choices. You will need some jigs in the 1/8 to 1/4 oz. sizes. Colors seem to vary every year but pink, chartuese, white, gold, and black will get you off to a great start. The store at the Camp has a good supply of tackle if you need some replacements. Most of the jigging in July is vertical and all of us pros will be happy to help you with location and technique.
If you like to do some casting, I would recommend any of the Rapala crankbaits, Shad rap, Taildancers, or Husky Jerks. There are hundreds of different brands of cranks on the market and all of them work. If you already have some bring them along. Color on the cranks is a real difficult call you never know, shad, perch, firetiger are good choices to start with. Also you will want to have some spinner baits in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz. sizes. the main colors should be white, black, and chartuese. These are very good for some great Pike fishing.
The camp has all the live bait and licences that you will need. In July we use either crawlers of leeches for our jig fishing.
When you arrive at camp one of us pros will meet with you at supper that evening and mark the map for you, we will mark the hazard and the fishing spots that have been producing for us. If you are first timers to camp I will try to get you in the boat with me for a day and show you around the area and also show you how I have been catching my fish. And then you can follow along with me every day or try some fishing on your own. I am out fishing everyday. I try to fish different areas everyday so that anyone who is following along can see new areas of the lake and learn there way around.
Thanks for choosing our camp
See you in July
Dick Wilkening
Pro Staff Witch Bay Camp