PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Question for Dick Wilkening

WBC-Regular
01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Dick,

Gail tells me that you and Barb have been out ice fishing during your spare time as weather permits. What kind of feedback can you give us?

Our weather here in Wisconsin has been mild, BUT, the tradeoff here is ice dams on our rooves and other fascinating such problems.

I'd like to hear what YOU have been doing so I can live vicariously.

Tom D

Dick Wilkening
01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Tom
Barb and I have been doing some fishing and it has been a little slow. Barb got a big northern last Sunday she has it posted on her facebook page. It was 38 inches and must have just ate a big whitefish or something, it had a big lump in its belly. The walleye have been slow during the day but about around 3 pm they start feeding for about an hour or so. We have not been fishing very deep, usually about 18 to 25 ft. The lure of choice is a 1/4 oz. pink jig tipped with a minnow. You can fish with any other color but you probably won't catch any fish.
During the day while you wait for the fish to get started the snowmobiling is great.
Good luck with the ice
Dick

WBC-Regular
01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad somebody is having fun with ice.

My "fun with ice" has been removing the ice dams from my roof. We had wet snows early in the year and lots of people have been having problems. I spent the last 5 days up and down a ladder on a snow-covered icy roof despite having used a roof rake after every snow. But I got the job done, with help from Mother Nature who gave us 5 or 6 days straight of 35+ degree weather. What a pain!

I can't wait for open water!! :)

WBC-Regular
01-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Dick,

Any advice to us Ice Out contestants about thickness of the ice, snow cover on the ice, local extended weather forecasts, etc?

Anything you can tell us will help.

Dick Wilkening
02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I was out with the snowmobile club this weekend checking ice conditions.
There is 6 inches of snow on top of 3 inches of slush all of with is on 15 to 20 inches of blue ice.
The weather seems to have settled in to a normal pattern for now, 15C during the days and 25C overnight.
Since tommorow is Ground Hog day I am sure there will be more info available tommorow.
Thanks
Dick Wilkening