PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to give it a try trolling this weekend

SEMOmike
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Think I'm going to make the trip over early Sat. to do a little trolling on the main lake. Shouldn't the fish be on the main lake still. I figure I will try a few of the deep running baits that I have. I haven't done this before so a few tips would be great!

Chad Cain
01-22-2010, 01:08 AM
The fish should still be on the main lake suspended with the schools of shad. Watch for the seagulls too, as they will help you find the bait. A couple years ago, we had some luck trolling by the cliffs and down by the dam in January. Run your baits any where from 10 to 25 feet down, but keep a close eye on your depth finder to see where the majority of the bait is located. Usually towards evening the bait comes up higher, along with the muskies.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

no limit
01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Think I'm going to make the trip over early Sat. to do a little trolling on the main lake.

Looking forward to a productive report. Good luck

SEMOmike
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Headed out to the lake Sat. evening, scrapped my plans of doing any trolling as I had sonar issues and the main lake body was windy as heck. Did some casting off of the few main lake points that were near deep water AND wind protected. Was a heck of a lot colder than I expected. Threw a variety of deep cranks and jerkbaits with no luck. Water was surprisingly clear for as much rain as we have had. I didn't see any ice left of the lake anywhere, but didn't venture too far.

I am very new at this, have had a great day with Chad, however I don't know what baits would be best for this time of year. If someone offers some suggestions try to explain to me what they look like as opposed to just the name cause I have tackle box full of musky lures and know the name of very few (picked up 45 different baits at a garage sale with the tackle box for $100 in St. Louis last summer) names.

Got another cold snap coming in next week, hopefully can get through that and then the fishing will pick up.

no limit
01-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Thk for the report. I'm looking forward to early spring fishing, hopefully in a couple weeks.