PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer bearing care info

fish N ski
01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I have had my new trailer and boat for 4 years now. I have not replaced the bearings in the axle. After 60 - 100 miles of traveling last year when I would stop I would feel the hubs. The passenger side feels cool, which is good. The drivers side feels semi-warm. I pump them full of grease every week I have the boat out, which it does not take any grease or minimal. Other guys I talk to say they change the bearings and repack them every spring. The mechanics at the plant I work say, Don't mess with them unless you feel the hubs and they are too warm or hot. Any suggestions on getting new bearings this year? This is one area that when I take a trip I worry the whole way to the lake and back about my trailer. Last year I went thru 3 tires. Any input or experiences would be gladly taken.

Anzomcik
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I have had my new trailer and boat for 4 years now. I have not replaced the bearings in the axle. After 60 - 100 miles of traveling last year when I would stop I would feel the hubs. The passenger side feels cool, which is good. The drivers side feels semi-warm. I pump them full of grease every week I have the boat out, which it does not take any grease or minimal. Other guys I talk to say they change the bearings and repack them every spring. The mechanics at the plant I work say, Don't mess with them unless you feel the hubs and they are too warm or hot. Any suggestions on getting new bearings this year? This is one area that when I take a trip I worry the whole way to the lake and back about my trailer. Last year I went thru 3 tires. Any input or experiences would be gladly taken.

The tires you went throught, did you have flats? I can not imagion that you wore them out.

This is the way i look at it, i will compair trailer bearings to the water pump in your outboat. Some guys change them every year, someguys nerve care to much about them till they fail, and lastly then there are guys like me. A guy who keeps a watchful eye on the wearable parts, does the maintiance, but i will only replace when things get sloppy. I bought my boat used three years ago, it is 1994 boat, motor, trailer. The trailer has the original bearings, I will be replacing them this year, late last year my seals went so i am doing the overhaul.

Jack the trailer up and grab the tire at 9 oclock and three oclock, and jiggle the tire lookin for slop. There should not be any, if there is you can tighten the nut if it is loose and recheck if good go for a trip or two and recheck again. If the nut isnt loose or have any doubts replace the bearing. They are not expensive.

Also if you are worried about the bearing keep a space set in your truck, they can be replaced along the side of the road in a pinch. This would be more for peace of mind for you. If you know they were good when you left, just go and enjoy your trip, leave the maintance for home.

Rich W
01-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't to much worry about the bearings as long as you are in fact checking the temerature of the hubs as often as you say and greasing the . My first trailer did not have bearing buddies on it and I was replacing bearings every year. My current trailer is 9 years old and has had bearing buddies since it was new and it still has the original bearings.
You don't say what size tires the trailer has, but I would be more concerned why I've gone through 3 tires. What is an average trip and how often do you make a trip pulling the trailer? Do you maintain the air pressure in the tires as diligently as you check the hubs?
Rich W

toothyfishman
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
The 3 tires scared me too! I didn't even carry a spare all season in my big boat and went way too many miles to not have one!:)

I think the whole bearing deal came along way when the bearing buddies were invented. My jet boat has the same bearings in it when I got it used. I think the trailer is a 2000. I need to breakdown and buy tires for it this year, there is no tread left! I have no plans of replacing the bearings anytime soon.
I do keep'em greased and check for slop once in awhile.

fish N ski
01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
thanks good enough. went thru one tire beacuse it was old and cracking in between the tread. another I hit someting at 3 am on I-79 on the way to chautauqua lake. the other was flat from a nail. Had it patched and it made it 2 blocks and the sideway blew out. they gave me 20.00 off my next tire because I threw a fit like a little bitch. It was just a bad tire year. But thanks for the input. I have 13" tires on the trailer. Last year I went to chautauqua every monday and came back thursday or friday. If not there I went to alleg. res. or Lake arthur. So I put alot of miles on the trailer. I live in Pittsburgh. I guess I can carry a spare set of bearings, but how do you know what the size is? I had a 2 dust caps in my truck that I had to use when someone stole my bearing buddies at the launch. Would it be the same size? Thanks for the input, but I am an idiot when it comes to this shit. My motors, I have become a genius on them. Can't fish without them so I give them # 1 priority.

lowbidder
01-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll second Anzomcik... carry a spare bearing set. Always have the tools you need when trailering and be prepared to put on your mechanic hat. I always carry two tackle boxes to the lake with me. One has lures and the other has tools. I learned my lesson the hard way this past spring with my kayak trailer. Never again!