PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gogebic nightmare

mudpuppy
01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Well I was hoping to post some good news about Gogebic but thats not the case. We got into Bergland at about 1 AM Saturday morning and woke up at around 630 to fish. From the Bergland Bay access we headed south to find deeper water near Porcupine point. The first half mile had good ice, about 5 inches of solid ice and 4 inches of frozen slush. Eventually that frozen slush turned sloppy very fast and one of our sleds kept getting stuck because the fish trap it was pulling was too heavy and kept plowing slush.. Our morning fishing was ruined, we spent 2 hours getting stuck and unstuck so we finally just fished in about 7 feet of water. We didn't mark a fish or get a flag for an hour or so. We moved back north to Bergland Bay and stayed put because the rest of the lake was inaccessable.. We fished there from 10 AM til 7 PM and didnt mark a fish or get a flag.. The 15 other guys we fished with didn't do well either except for 2 or 3 guys.. I believe seven 15-16 inch Walleye came from 3 holes and that was it.. My advice would be to get a hovercraft or helicopter to explore that lake or if you don't have that kind of money bring a sled with a high suspension and a studded track and sit on buckets to fish because portables were almost impossible to pull in that slush.. A C.O. did tell us that some guys had a pile of jumbos on the ice over in some deeper water..

The Bait Shop Guy
01-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Just curious, how many times was Buck LeVasseur's name cursed over the course of the weekend?:p

Last weeks "Discovering" may have set the expectation level a little high.

mudpuppy
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Haha! I would have to say every single local was ticked off about that.

Naptime
01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I too was lured into making the drive over to Lake Gogebic on Sunday after watching old Bucky's report on the telly. This was the first time I had ever fished it and I walked on from Ontonagon County Park. There was no slush on this portion of the lake. All I will say is that I didnt get skunked...................
It was pleasantly surprising that the water was clear enough to facilitate use of the underwater camera.

mudpuppy
01-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Where is Ontanagon park located? Apparently you had a better area to fish all together.. What did you catch? Anything good on the camera?

RudyG
01-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Onto's county park is straight west of porkie point on the west shore. A little further north and you are at "The Hoop n Hollar Bar" .. Oh.. good food and good drinks there too. :p
All that snow early must have messed up the Ice in the Bay. Usually by this time of the year she's pretty solid, but never as thick as LBDN gets. "Just too much insulation from all the snow"

Remember guys .. That lake is huge.. Bergland to the southern End is like Kipling to Cedar river.. well almost. 28 miles I think .. Ice can change alot on there as well as the bite from one little bay to another. If they arent biting in one bay they are in another.