PDA

View Full Version : the trouble with girls

tiredog
12-31-2009, 12:34 AM
asked this question back in September but no replies, will try again. Does anyone else have trouble getting those big blades to start turning at the start of the retrieve on the cowgirls and llungen type bucktails? Seems like i waste a lot of casts.Is there a cure for this, such as a blade modification? Seems like a lot of posts here go unanswered.Dont know if you have to be a client or club member but would sure like to see this site a little more friendly. Not trying to stir the waters, just saying

no limit
12-31-2009, 04:04 AM
Seems like a lot of posts here go unanswered.Dont know if you have to be a client or club member but would sure like to see this site a little more friendly. Not trying to stir the waters, just saying

I dont think posts go unanswered for a specific reason. I wonder at times why a post will get hundreds of views and no reply.
In my opinion if viewers cant answer or post reports it's better than the nonsense that goes on at some of the most popular sites. I wont get into my opinion of a site I followed and supported for years. I continue to view said site for info but rarely particapate in forums any longer.

I currently have a couple post here and I wait patiently for a valid respectful post.

Hang in there and be patient. You may not get an answer today on a blade issue but you will get info.

Happy New Year

Chad Cain
12-31-2009, 09:33 AM
I only have problems on the smaller blades at times. The larger blades usually start right away since they are a little heavier. The biggest thing is the speed in which you get them started at. Reel quickly! If you have a very slow gear ratio reel that could be the problem, or not enough line on your reels to get the higher gear ratio.

AFchris
12-31-2009, 10:34 AM
I do something a little diferent, I'll give my rod a 1/4 to a 1/2 pull back to myslef while reeeling to get them going. You have to speed up the retrieve a lilttle bit in the begining. Only down fall is if a fish smokes it right you have to really set "further" than you normally would. i.e. your a bit out of postion for the set so you have to compensate.

So when that spinner bait hits the water, start the pull and your reeling. Slowly bring your rod tip back in postion while adjusting your reeling speed. the whole process only takes 2-3 seconds.

This is what works for me...good luck, oh forgot to add a quick snap right when it lands works well too!

JTH453
12-31-2009, 10:56 AM
I have noticed this problem too with DC-10's and Cowgirls. A little trick I use is to actually pull the bait back towards the boat just before it hits the water. I usually start a couple feet before the bait hits the water. Note that you have to start reeling when you jerk back in order to prevent the line from slacking up. Seems like this technique gets the bait going in the right direction and the momemtum usually gets the blades going right when it hits the water. It takes a little time to get this technique down, but you will find that it works pretty good overtime. AFchris also has a good suggestion.

tiredog
12-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys, tried the jerking back of rod and fast start but i think the key maybe starting b4 it hits water, will try that .Thinking of going to Muskie show in Chicago, if i do will introduce myself to Chad and whomever else.Know it would be neat to go but cant decide if its worth the trip of that distance when i know i wont get a bite:D

dnvarese
01-04-2010, 07:48 AM
I've had some troubles on some of the big bladed baits also. One thing I've tried with success with is putting a 45 degree bend directly behind the eye of the lure. Use 2 pliers when doing this and make sure the bend isn't in the area where the clevis's are. This will also prevent the whole lure from spinning and creating line twist. Also make sure the clevis's are in a perfect 'U' shape. Sometimes they start opening up causing problems.

Musky Glenn
01-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I have had good luck helping this situation by making sure the legs of the clevis are perfectly straight. Usually they spread out wider where they fit the wire shaft. That does make a difference. The most common problem I now have comes from the bottom blade laying on top of the top blade. They just seem to lock each other up until you lift it out of the water. Hope this helps. Musky Glenn