PDA

View Full Version : Meeting to open spearing on Cass Lake

Kevin Cochran
12-30-2009, 09:06 PM
There is a meeting to the spearing of northern pike on Cass Lake on Tuesday January 5th. They will then pursue this with the DNR or perhaps another group that they feel can influence the DNR better than them.
I am going to call and see what time the meeting will take place.

I am asking everyone that cares for the betterment of musky fishing to call them or show up and voice their opinions. Tell them that you do NOT want spearing allowed on Cass Lake.

Cass Lake is a natural musky lake and does not rely on stocking from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. That means that muskies are not planted; the sole existence is a result of muskies spawning. With spawning grounds on the decline this is another detrimental factor for the muskies that swim in Cass Lake. It is a fact that muskies do get speared on lakes that allow the spearing of northern pike.

Please take 2 minutes out of your time and call them. You can also copy and paste this to send to anyone in your e-mail list that musky fishes.

Here's the contact information:
Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce
105 US Hwy. 2
P.O. Box 548
Cass Lake, Minnesota 56633
Toll Free: 1-800-356-8615
Local Phone: 218-335-2250
Email: info@casslake.com

cbrooks
12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
If you find out what time and when the vote takes place post it on here. I'm from out of state but I will try to make it. Thanks.

Chris Brooks

Kevin Cochran
01-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Here's the Chamber's statement regarding the spearing ban....

The Cass Lake Area Chamber of Commerce is an association of business persons and merchants who work together to promote the prosperity and attractiveness of the greater area by representation of its citizens and business community. Currently they are an organization of 100+ businesses in the Cass Lake area. The objective of the Chamber is to promote these organizations in order to bring economic growth to the area.

The Chamber cannot lift the ban on spear fishing. This is a legislative issue which must be undertaken by our politicians in the Minnesota House and Senate. The Chamber, itself, does not support lifting the ban of spear fishing on Cass Lake nor does it support retaining the ban of spear fishing on Cass Lake. The individual members of the organization have a right to their own opinion regarding the lifting of the ban on spear fishing.

Furthermore, the Chamber is not affiliated with the organization CLIFS (Cass Lake Initiative For Spearing). This is an organization formed by area residents promoting to lift the ban of spear fishing on Cass Lake.

Katrina Virkus, Director
Cass Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 548, 105 US HWY 2
Cass Lake, MN 56633
Office: 1-800-356-8615 or 218-335-2250
Cell: 218-259-9617
Email: info@casslake.com