PDA

View Full Version : Abu Garcia BCX ??????

toothyfishman
12-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Anyone using these cheaper reels?
Most all the Kmart/Walmarts have them. I was thinking these maybe the ticket for the wintertime trashing of reels. Use them 3-4 trips and when they die take them back and get them replaced. By the time they quit replacing them, spring will be here...:p

Anyone try them yet? Are they worth using?

Larry Jones
12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Your luck will be that you will hook up a Big Fattie of a lifetime and the reel will quit working!

toothyfishman
12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm wondering if they are all the same parts and assembled in China or not the same reels at all and are cheaper built with more plastic piece/parts.

I was hoping someone on here has run one and had a report.

MDmuskyaddict
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I had one and it did broke after about 1 yr. the ears on the line guide wore out. So it stopped spooling evenly. I had no other problem with it.

Good luck.

Polish_Pike
12-29-2009, 12:10 AM
I bought my kid one of those Pete Maina reels from BassPro as a first bait-caster, go-ahead-and-beat-the-snot-out-of-it musky reel. It was like $65...which is probably $5 or $10 bucks more than the Abu BCX @ Walmart. Anyway, I put it side-by-side with My Pflueger Trion 66 and noticed it's pretty much the same reel. Feels decent for that price. My Pflueger has been pretty trustworthy, dollar-for-dollar, not a bad reel.

They were all out of the Red Childress signature series reel with the brass spitoon.

Happy New Year!

ToddM
12-29-2009, 01:10 AM
You can get recon bcx reels at fisherman's factory outlet for under 40 bucks.

muskie24/7
12-29-2009, 05:50 AM
I bought my kid one of those Pete Maina reels from BassPro as a first bait-caster, go-ahead-and-beat-the-snot-out-of-it musky reel. It was like $65...which is probably $5 or $10 bucks more than the Abu BCX @ Walmart. Anyway, I put it side-by-side with My Pflueger Trion 66 and noticed it's pretty much the same reel. Feels decent for that price. My Pflueger has been pretty trustworthy, dollar-for-dollar, not a bad reel.

They were all out of the Red Childress signature series reel with the brass spitoon.

Happy New Year!Garrick, They are the exact same reel! just different names on them! I have a couple Pete Maina reels that are 10+ yrs. old with nothing but normal maintanance done to them! I actually prefer using them ! I have many, many hours on them too! I use them more than my Calcutta's...Brian

Red Childress
12-29-2009, 08:07 AM
The brass spitoon was the actual purchase item and the 'signature reel' was thrown in for free to sweeten the pot. :)

Larry Jones
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
While down in Florida I found ABU BCX 6600 5:1 Ratio Reels in a Pawn Shop,buy one at $40 and get the 2nd one for 1/2 price.So I purchased two for $60 + tax and will see how they hold up for cranking smaller buctail's over time.

Capt. Larry