PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 12/26 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
12-26-2009, 10:52 AM

Hope everyone had a great time with their families yesterday. This week should bring good snowmobiling/fishing conditions to our area. I did get out yesterday evening for a bit and had a few flags for the effort. Hooked a big Northern, 35/36in, but it cut me off at the hole. I did get the one walleye I was looking for,... a nice 21in that gave me a couple beautiful boneless fillets... my Christmas dinner. Damn, they're good fresh like that.

Here's the scoop on ice conditions... Found that our recent snowfall did indeed push exsisting ice down creating some very slushy areas, tough to tromp through and hate it when slush sticks to the bottom of the sled I'm dragging. We're finding 3-5 inches of good ice with some thinner areas to watch for, especially current areas if present. I'm not going to suggest four-wheeler use yet but guys are beginning to explore with them... could turn into a pricey exploration. They've been dropping a lot of stuff through this year, use common sense and caution.

Setting tip-ups using either small shiners or sucker minnows has been the usual approach for pike and walleye. Which bait kind of depends on the lake you choose to fish, one usually works better than the other on different lakes... go figure.

Bottomline... Slower than normal ice formation this season due to early/recent snowfall dictates caution but we are beginning to get the ice we need to begin icefishing in earnest. Good luck out there.

Mark Benson
12-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Matt:

Merry Christmas!!! Great stuff, sure has been an interesting early season for the ice fishing guys!!! Wished I could say I had been one of them. Hoping to get out tomorrow night, perhaps we will have to give you an on the lake fishing report. Got to help a buddy at Spang's tonight, so I am bartender extrodinaire for a last night for awhile. I am also going to see if my bro and his kids are interested in sneaking over to see the show.

Mark

Muskie Matt
12-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Be good to see you Mark, if you get the chance. They do have Boondockers open again for the winter season so refreshments/food will be available. Been a quiet few weeks with the place closed, kinda miss walking around talking with people like we do in the summer months...