PDA

View Full Version : Rod advice needed...

Nueces Bay
12-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I could really use some advice on musky rod. I enjoy building my own rods and want to build a musky rod for this summer's trip to the Chip. I am a beginner thru and thru when it comes to musky fishing but I have the fever bad. I find myself thinking of the chip while down on the texas flats sight casting to tailing redfish. This will be my 6th year fishing the flowage and have only boated one tiger so far. I visit my inlaws in Hayward for two weeks every summer, of which I spend at least 7-10 of those days on the water. I know I should probably build two rods and maybe will down the road. For now just one rod.

So here is my question:
If you could only own one musky rod, what would the length be and what lure rating would it be?

PS. Ty, what is your availability looking like between June 26th and July 11th of 2010? I really want to book a guided trip this year.

Ty Sennett
12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
I would get a St. Croix Premier 8' MH with a 14 to 16 inch handle to balance it out well. That's just me though. I've tried a lot of different brands and still like the St. Croix brand the best. If you are willing to spend a little more, the 8' MH legend Tourney blank is really nice. I had my father In Law make one for Rachel and it turned out awesome.

I should have some time in the period you will be up here so give me a call and we'll get something down.

Nueces Bay
12-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I'll give you a call as soon as I get my plane ticket locked in.

On your advice I just got off the phone with Lonnie at Thorne Bros. He is building me a St Croix. 8ft MH Premier rod. Thanks for the advice. By the way, Lonnies advice was identicle to yours.