PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 12/22 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
We fished yesterday evening till about 7pm and saying it was the Dead Sea would be kind. Had 6 tip-ups out and not one flag the whole time! We had a big area covered too, but not to fear, we're going out again this evening and we'll be updating right from the ice.

Ice conditions were very different depending where we went spudding. I can't stress enough, we have weird ice conditions so far this season and I myself wouldn't be running willy-nilly around by foot much less using a machine of some sort. Got reports of four wheelers and people breaking through ice all over the area. Caution is advised.

Air temps are -5 this morning and that should start freezing some of the slush on top of what good ice we do have. We're finding 3-4 inches of good, clear ice with 5-6 inches of slush or frozen slush on top of the good ice. Just keep in mind the frozen slush isn't as strong as that nice clear ice.

Don't let a snow machine buzzing across a lake fool you, that's different dynamics... it's moving, fast, and different rules of physics apply... We're ice fishermen and as such we're poking around slower, stopping, searching, etc. Bottomline? Be freakin' safe out there! Think!

Check out the RFRG Outdoor page on FB at this link:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Muskie-Matt-RFRG-Outdoor-Radio/206872896639?ref=mf

Upcoming show info and our current fishing will be posted on that page, if you can't get out fishing perhaps joining us "virtually" for an outing may appease your fishing hunger. We're now on Twitter and our posts go directly to my FB page here:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481874572&ref=mf

Follow us there for real time updates and fishing. If a post comes up there and says the ice is 3 inches thick... it is, cuz I'm standing on it at that moment!

Muskie Matt
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
We've had mixed success setting tip-ups for walleye, usual lakes are a bit slow and one or two waters are very good. One common factor is walleyes are running in shallow under the thinner ice. Set your rigs using either shiners or sucker minnows and back off, being quiet is a factor in that shallow water.
Two evenings of fishing produced 22 keeper walleyes from 15 to 27 inches. The majority being in that perfect 17-19 inch range. Attached is a pic of the 27 incher taken in 5ft of water.

Mark Benson
12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Matt:

That is the thing that I really enjoy about early ice!!! It is just so much fun snapping the hooks home on a shallow dweller, especially those larger ones!!! Good stuff looking forward to finally getting out. Still can't believe that it has been since Sept 10th since I have been out.

Mark

Muskie Matt
12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Mark, did you check out the link I mentioned? Is that the show you wanted?

Mark Benson
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Matt:

Almost through hour one now, in fact actually finished it, but a customer was in, so I am replaying the last 15 minutes.

Mark