PDA

View Full Version : Iron County Taxes

Birdoguy
12-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Yikes! Just received my tax bill... does anyone know how Iron County can justify a 10% property tax increase? Iron county provides very little service compared to Milwaukee County, where there was only a 3.3% tax increase... the school taxes are another subject. Although I had planned on living there full time in a year, I don't know that some of us will be able to afford it. At least with permanent residence we will have the right to run and or vote against the Iron County Officials who are responsible for this horrendous increase! Something is very wrong here now.

MuskieRandy
12-21-2009, 07:08 AM
What does this have to do with fishing?

Brian P
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Taxes are crazy up here. I agree with you 100%. I remember receiving the new appraisals conducted earlier this year with a note stating the new values would NOT be used to increase taxes. Apparently they decided not to abide by their statements. How does this relate to fishing? Its a no-brainer, this means less money to spend on the resorts, fishing equipment, beer, food, etc. Seems to me it is indirectly relative to how much fishing will be affordable.

MuskieRandy
12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
I thought that the property tax is off topic to a fishing forum, but hey, if it takes away the beer and minnow money, I guess it's on topic, so I'll bite.

Not sure what can come of this thread though, other than cry on each others shoulders, but I found a good link that has some data:

http://www.wistax.org/facts/200809%20county%20levies.xls

Or just go one level up here, and there is other data:

http://www.wistax.org/facts/index.html

According to this (in column D), Iron county total tax levy is up 2.47%. Equalized value is up 4.51% (whatever that is) The tax is complicated though; there are other taxes mixed in there like municipal, etc....

Your property tax bill is based on your assessed value, times the mill rate, and sometimes the assessed value is multiplied down by a factor too, so it can be complicated.

birdoguy, did your asssessed value go up?? Is the mill rate up? Let's figure out where the increase came from....

Yeah, I don't like tax rate increases either. The problem is the rate increases but never decreases, so by the year 3000 I guess we'll all be paying all our income in taxes!

REB
12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Try getting a 37% increase on school tax, living in Iron couny and having to pay school tax in Price (Park Falls). $640 just on school. Yeh!!

Hot Runr Guy
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Try getting a 37% increase on school tax, living in Iron couny and having to pay school tax in Price (Park Falls). $640 just on school. Yeh!!

the schools portion of my RE tax bill totals $4524. You're getting off pretty cheap!
HRG

REB
12-31-2009, 01:53 PM
That $640 was just the increase this year. The School tax is over 2/3 of the total tax up here.