PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Ice Report

UGUIDE
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Frank, wondering if you can give update on how thick ice is on average and how much snow on top of ice?

From the camera on Flag it looked like everything froze over pretty quick a while back.

How much ice is needed for roads to go out to Flag and Oak?

Thanks,

Chris

Frank Walsh
12-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Ice is a bit strange right now. Probably ranges from 4" to 12". Of course most of it is 8"-12" where we are traveling, but you better know where you are going, and stay on the marked trails.

Not much snow yet. Which is good. Maybe 1"-2" overall, with occasional 4"-6" drifts.

The plow guy would like to have 11"-12" to start.

UGUIDE
12-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Ice is a bit strange right now. Probably ranges from 4" to 12". Of course most of it is 8"-12" where we are traveling, but you better know where you are going, and stay on the marked trails.

Not much snow yet. Which is good. Maybe 1"-2" overall, with occasional 4"-6" drifts.

The plow guy would like to have 11"-12" to start.

Well that sounds about all a guy can ask for right now. Wife is holding me at gunpoint making me take her ice fishing between Christmas and New Years. Planning to bring an ATV and portable. We mainly plan to fish on MN side of Islands. That plan worked for us last year when the wife managed to haul in a 29" eye.

Thanks for the concise report.

Chris

UGUIDE
12-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi Frank, any new info on ice depth, ice roads and snow depth would be appreciated.

Chris

Merry Christmas everyone!

Frank Walsh
12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
No idea on the ice depth. I'm to the point where I pretty much don't check it. I'll know more when I drill the houses tomorrow, but I would think well in excess of a foot. Still a lot of thinner stuff out there randomly scattered.

Ice road plowed to Brush, but don't know it's thickness. Was some thinner stuff in the general area.

anglefisherman
12-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I checked the ice road to Hacket Tues. 12 inches

Frank Walsh
12-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks Gar. Talking to Duane this morning, somewhat stalled there. Ice is a bit squirrelly between there and Mergen's Point. He was on his way to check again. Hopefully this snow holds off. Would be a crippler. I'm about 90% convinced we will not have a functional ice road for the big rush right after Christmas.

UGUIDE
12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks Frank & Co. Wife and I are still planning on leaving Mpls Friday morning and head up. We stay will Dan on Flag Island and this will be our 3rd or 4th trip up.