PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 12/14 Icefishing w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok, this is what we got going on... Snow has put quite the damper on ice formation for the moment, even with last weeks below zero temps. More arctic air is to move in this week but the downside is the additional 5 inches of snow we got today. More insulation on the ice...

The lakes that did get some ice cover before the snow arrived seem to be running about the same ice thicknesses, 2-4 inches. That's mainly around lake edges and out a couple hundred yards. Some of our lakes I wouldn't venture out towards the basins just yet. Still a little spooky for me.

Snow cover has also pushed the thin ice down creating sloppy slush conditions already this season. Best we can hope for is the frigid temps to work through the snow and do it's work. I also don't suggest vehicles of any type yet, that's just asking to go submarine at this time.

Walleye action has been somewhat slow for early ice, some flags but no real pattern to the bite yet. We were on LVD this evening and it was the Dead Sea during the sunset period and after. Later bite? Maybe. Use shiners and sucker minnows under a tip-up, usually a pattern develops for one or the other on any given lake.

Be very careful, use all the proper safety equipment, and start testing some ice, but be very cautious. Wierd year for ice formation thus far.