PDA

View Full Version : Color Patters

hawkeye9
12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm among the camp of those who generally believe color patterns are to hook the fishermen and not so much the fish. Bright colors for dark water, natural for clear tends to be the ticket for me. However, I'm hooked on the new Jake color schemes. Way cool!

Here's my question: Are there specific color patterns you guys like for Kincaid? Specifically with Krushers. But if there's more knowledge you'll share I'm listening...and a bet there's several others as well that would like to know.

Musky Glenn
01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
North Carolina has some good muskies, but not enough different places hold them to have a large concentration of fishermen to spread the word about the hot lures. The WNC Muskie Club members help each other find what seems to be hot at the time. It always seems like something has been hot before we find out about it down here. Only way to receive Musky Hunter TV is on Satelite, I order their videos each year and enjoy those.
Hawkeye9 has a valid question. Listing best options won't stop sales, it will increase sales of the ones that really work. I know that any lure will catch a musky under the right conditions, but I know that there is usually one that you would have a better chance with than the dozens of lures that have never raised a musky for me. We don't have ONE musky lure store in this area. We order through the internet, without ever seeing the new lure before hand.
If you want to sell a million (or some other realistic number) dvd's, produce one that shows lures, especially size and color, that you find your self tying on. I always watch the credits or sponsors that go with each tv show or dvd, just to determine how much influence that may have had on lures used for that dvd. Thanks for any information you may make available.
Glenn Grindstaff
muskyglenn@charter.net
President, WNC Muskie Club

no limit
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Are lures painted to entise the fisherman or the fish ? Age old question. I've had this discussion many times with fellow anglers. Seems opinions are as varied as lure possibilties.

I consider myself a multispecies fisherman, Arkansas stripers, Lk Mi, rivers and lakes thru out the midwest etc.... I like to fish.

I prefer to use lures with natural colors. I choose lures most like the bait fish of forage fish for that particular body of water. I always use a lure that has plenty of action that will send vibrations. I usually start with a smaller lure and work up in size.

I use shad colored baits when I fish Kincaid. I normally troll looking more for structure than bait fish. A combination of both and water temps are the perfect area for me.

Good luck

Chad Cain
01-05-2010, 11:40 AM
While I have definitely seen certain colors out produce other colors on given days, I still think that for the most part a color is a confidence thing for us anglers. We all know how important it is to have confidence in the lure we are using, and especially the color. I have a certain lake up in Minnesota that black with chartreuse outproduces any other color we have tried up there. Guess what the forage base is?? Perch! I have another lake up there that is super clear and white with chartruese blades outproduces any other color we have tried too.

So maybe it is a combination of both confidence and some time on the water to determine the best colors for each individual body of water.