PDA

View Full Version : Braided Line "accidental" Experiment

Red Childress
12-08-2009, 03:36 PM
For what it is worth, I noticed an interesting thing while fishing the past few weeks concerning which braid is "the best". My conclusion is that Power Pro, Suffix, Cortland, Fireline, etc. are all going to (pretty much) perform the same under summertime conditions.

The aspect that sets these lines apart is water absorption and Power Pro is like a sponge compared to Suffix or Ultracast. The last 2 rods I have left with PPro on them kept freezing up last Saturday while my Suffix and Ultracast rods hardly needed any attention. (I kept noticing that my clients kept busting 'eye guide' ice off their rods and I was having no problems which had me puzzled for a few minutes until I realized I was using different line than they were.)

Just an observation from the bald(ing) guy who fishes in freezing weather. :)

Anzomcik
12-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Thats good to know. All my reels have PP, and the curados get real fussy when wet (at least mine do) And i had terrible ice problems last winter. Hmm i wish i did not buy a ton of PP bulk now :( its ok ill get sufix for my winter rod and ill be good to go.

Red Childress
12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I bet that newer PPro will be ok for a while until the coating wears off. My hands do not get stained when using new spools of Suffix or Ultracast like they do with PPro.

Larry Jones
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
In freezing conditions I spray the wrapped Power Pro on the reel's spool with Reel Majic,it soaks into the fibers and repels water.

Red Childress
12-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I use the same thing too but I did not need it with anything else BUT Power Pro on those "barely freezing" days.

Anzomcik
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Has anyone tried useing reel majic on days when the temp is in the teens? Thats when i get in trouble alot.

Red Childress
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Yep.....even to single digits. For me, the Reel Majic works OK to around 20-degrees (with no wind) and has been the cut-off for me when casting. Anything colder than that and you will need to take extra rigs with you and wrap the frozen rigs in bottle warmers to thaw.

Trolling in temps less than 20 is much easier (especially) if you can leave your lines set for long periods of time.

Larry Jones
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
For those real cold days in the 20's and under I've used Ear Muffs with Hand Warmers tucked inside put over the reel sides to keep the drag washers and gear grease warm on the rods when not being used. Also use grease with hot sauce on levelwind paws.

Red Childress
12-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Something I have been doing in really cold temps (the past few years) is changing my rigs from bait casting to oversized spinning reels. The guides will still freeze up as usual but the spinning reels will allow you to cast much longer before you have to break out the 'ice chisel'. :)

Anzomcik
12-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I am lookin at getting sufix braid for my winter reel, i almost pulled the trigger a few minutes ago. then this thought poped into my head, has any one tried cortlands braid? There add in muksyshop says it repels water... i think they have a few different kinds out there. Anyone try there stuff?