PDA

View Full Version : New here....

MDmuskyaddict
12-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Hello,
My name is Rocky. I'm a new Musky hunter with only 2 years under my belt. I fish the potomac river in md. barely anyone musky fishes here. I was wondering if I could hang around here with you folks since there is no forums around for my area. From what i've read sound like your Allegheny river is alot like the potomac. We have alot of muskys here. This fall has been a huge struggle to catch fish for me. I'm getting alot of follows just no takers.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself.

Rocky

Red Childress
12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey Rocky,

Glad to have you here on the board. We have a wide range of fisher-people here but there is a strong musky flavor to this board. I have really enjoyed (and benefitted from) the amount of information that has been shared here over the years.

I ask lots of questions and always get answers from guys that are trustworthy, which makes the board very user friendly. We do not have internet jerks here that like to stir the pot......just some good 'ole boys who fish very hard.

There are a couple of MD guys that belong to this message board that you might even know.

Welcome aboard!

Red (PAmusky)

lowbidder
12-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey Rocky,

I've only been musky fishing for a few months, so you've got more experience than me! The potomac has always looked enticing to me. I pass over it going to Berkley Springs a few times a year and often consider trying it out. It seems like the stocking program in MD has really stepped it up too. How far upstream is the river fishable from Hancock (via jetboat)?

I'm only 1.5 hours away in SW pennsylvania.

Mike

MDmuskyaddict
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Fella's
Lowbidder,
As far as are musky program. I don't really know anything about it. But are western region biologist is a very popular Musky fisherman. I'm sure that helps the cause.

The jet boating above Hancock is very accessable but not in the summer. From early spring to early summer You can boat as far west as the Cumberland Dam. I personally smallie fish between Hancock and paw paw WV.
I found the river level around 6ft. and over (At Paw Paw.)to be Farely easy to navigate.
There used to be a small tackle shop in hancock that told me a few years back that the area of hancock was recently stocked with Musky fingerlings.
I believe he said 5000.
I also fish the susquehanna river for bass. 1.5 hrs away puts that in your backyard don't it?
Well thanks for the welcome.

Rocky

toothyfishman
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Welcome Rocky.

I love that Berkley Springs area, it is one place that I've drove through and thought to myself that it was a place I could live....and of course...A River Runs Through It so all the better.:)

lowbidder
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Rocky,
I'm 1.5 hours to the southwest portion of PA. Susquehanna is Eastern PA. I'm Between the Monongahela and Youghiogheny Rivers.

Here is a link to an article I read awhile back:
http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/naturalresource/summer2008/fishing.pdf

Toothy, here is a link for you too...
http://www.trulia.com/property/1093002812-250-Peanut-Pl-Great-Cacapon-WV-25422

Things like this remind me to keep playing the powerball! :D

MDmuskyaddict
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Great link! Thanks

RapRunR
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Welcome Rocky !! Red and the guys are very helpful in trying to learn about this amazing species and what it takes to put them in the net and safely get them back to there habitat. This is a great site and you'll like it here.