PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 11/23 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
As we near the close of yet another good muskie season we're finding water temps are running 44-38 depending on the lake or area of a lake you're fishing. Much warmer than normal water temps have made muskie hunting a roll of the dice. I've found a pattern that is usually good earlier in the fall to still be producing fish, with good consistancy. ALL my fish over the last two weeks have come on artificial baits. Not one hit on a live sucker. They've been swimming right by the sucker and hitting the artificial baits, weird huh? I'm still running live suckers but what an added cost... hmmmmm. Baits of choice are crankbaits worked in a pull/pause motion like jerkbaits, jerkbaits themselves, and what I call "messy baits" or those that have a very erratic pattern to their retrieve such as Reef Hogs or Undertakers. The last few days of muskie season should prove interesting with slightly colder weather moving in... hear us talking live every Sunday evening about our area fishing on RFRG Outdoors at MuskieMatt.com, ...stay tuned.

Deer... Gun season is on... numbers are down. Bucks are into a "secondary rut" pattern and seem to be roaming quite a bit still. More on deer when bow season opens back up...

Mild weather this late November should get us muskie-heads on the water, perfect chance this season to ride it right to the end... good luck to all.

Sid Chigger
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Enjoyed the show last night, Matt!! Good one!

Muskie Matt
11-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks Sid, with the muskie season winding down we're able to focus on a few other aspects of RFRG Outdoors. Like we mentioned on last weeks show, listen for some changes in the next couple months.

For now, it's warm again this morning and I have a Chamber of Commerce meeting at 7am... gonna drag the boat along and head out for a little fishin' afterwards... as can be seen in the attached photo my lunch box is loaded and ready, I have all the major food groups represented...

There is a can of Dr Pepper under that pile of health food...

Sid Chigger
11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
What's the syrup for? Chocolate fix??

dug1
11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
.. where's the "cocco-puffs"?

have a good turkey day bud!!!

Muskie Matt
11-25-2009, 07:24 AM
The chocolate syrup is for the coco puffs....

Update... I did get out yesterday morning after the meeting and a hearty breakfast at Liefs. Afterwards I hit Watersmeet as it is close and actually one of my favorite late season waters. There's been a nice fish (46-48) hanging in an area that I've been trying to put hooks to for quite some time. So I get all set up, run a sucker, etc. I take 3 casts and BANG! There she is! I got her hooked! She stays on top thrashing her head back n forth and PLINK! She throws the hooks... #@!%. I was a bit bummed that I burned that fish for the day but still pumped thinking "it's gonna be a good day Tater"... nope, it was the only fish I saw all day.

All in all, no regrets. It was a beautiful day for late November. I was warm, fingers weren't frozen, and the sucker actually stayed alive all day. Water temp was 38-39. What bait was I using you ask? Why good ol' "Acid Frog" of course. I'll get a pic of "Acid Frog" and attach it here, it's my bait of choice lately on lakes from the Chains to Tomahawk. I'm going to try and get out again today, take advantage of this nicer weather while we have it, looks like it's going to take a turn for the colder beginning tomorrow...

Dug, Sid, and everyone else... put on the feed bag and have a great Thanksgiving.

Sid Chigger
11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Yep - shall do buddy - and you do the same!

Muskie Matt
11-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I added a photo of "acid frog" in the above post...