PDA

View Full Version : Eagle River Area Lunker Report

Ranger Rick
11-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Open water is still here with water temperatures upper 30's on the smaller lakes and lower 40's on the larger or deeper lakes. One of the lakes I am fishing still has water at 44 degrees. It looks as though that hard core muskie guys are going to go all the way to November 30, the close of the Wisconsin Muskie season with the lakes being open.
There are not many boats on the lakes, the last two days I have been the "lone ranger" on the lakes I've been fishing.
The muskies are still biting on suckers, but the bite has slowed a bit as I believe they want the cold to come back to the area. Today we are to get to 48 degrees with a bright sun. The fish have definitely started to move deeper.

Suckers are still working, and now and again we get interest on an artificial bait, even if it is only to follow in and find our suckers. Once in a awhile they are hitting a crankbait or a Fuzzy Duzzit. The fish we are catching vary in size. nothing over 46 inches recently, and some as small as 33 inches. You have to examine every bite as to when to set the hook on the quickstrike.
If you set them all right away, you will be missing fish.

Northern Pike action is okay if you are fishing weedy lakes that have the critters. I haven't caught any cause I'm fishing deeper than they reside at this time. If Northerns are your target try the edge of the weeds at main food shelf areas and some have taken up residents near cribs in 10 to 18 feet of water. A 4 -6 inch chub or sucker are the best bet on a larger jig with a wire leader.

Walleye are biting well for the few walleye anglers still on the water. XL fatheads, 3 to 4 inch sucker minnows and red tail chubs are all taking fish. The larger walleyes are still setting off my clicker on my sucker rods, though we haven't been able to get a hook in one yet. They are in 12 to 30 feet of water depending where you are fishing.

Some of the larger perch are also being caught in the same general are of the walleyes. The perch seem to be a foot or two deeper than the walleye and right on the bottom. A, 1/8th oz. jig and fathead works best for these at this time.
And lastly, the crappie action is stable. They are in a few places, some are right at the hard bottom/ mudline, some are located over and around cribs in 12 to 25 feet of water, and a few are hanging near the deepest weededges closest to deep water dropoffs. A crappie minnow or small fathead on a slip bobber is best, unless you want to fish the deep crappie on the mudline. Then use a "corkie" slip sinker rig and minnow.

We are not going to be concerned with Bluegills at this time as there is nobody here fishing for them. Alot of anglers are coming into Guides Choice and are anxious for "first ice" walleyes. We have a great selection of ice fishing items all ready out with the rest coming out in about a week. Ice will be here eventually, in the meantime enjoy our beautiful days and the last of the open water season.

Good Luck,

"Ranger" Rick