PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Windows

H2O wolf
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I can say that I've heard about feeding windows alot and probably have thrown that term around a bit myself but never have I experienced it like fishing on monday. First of all I was fishing for 3.5 to 4 hours with only one follow on a river that was falling. I loaded up and started to head home when I did a U turn to go hit a different river.
I get to the new spot and pull up along a tree polluted shorline and hit the 38"er (pictured) on the first cast! She was hooked bad so it took some time to get here unbuttoned and replace hooks and split rings on the bait.
Over the next dozen casts I had a follow, a hit next to the shorline, then a nice 45-47 follow and hit on the 8. Unfortunately I only boated the first fish but was in shock at the action I just had. I know it was at least 3 different fish and it probably was 4. I pounded that spot a few more times and had another fish follow twice right before dark.
This was not during moonrise/moonset... no minor or major... and pressure was high without any significant drop. I guess I just hit a hungry pack of wolves.
Two things I did learn are... Don't Forget to sharpen the hooks after you replace them and to concentrate on the hookset not just the figure 8.

Anzomcik
11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Great fish, got to love when the action come on hard.

I was on the fence weather i should have gone out monday or tuesday night. I thought tuesday would have been better but i think i made the wrong choice. Only had one fish in the boat maybe mid 20s with another real nice fish lost. Hind sight monday seemed to be better weather at least where i live. Once again nice fish

allegheny river kid
11-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Nice fish! I'll give my 2 cents on "feeding windows." I've had the same thing happen enough times now, fishing along thru spots known to hold fish and all of sudden its like someone "flips the switch" and fish start going crazy. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often enough but when it does the fishing is very memorable. I've paid alot of attention to the moon phases for the past 3 years and trying to key in on moonrise/moonset and sunrise/sunset and when a front moves in, i personally prefer fishing after a storm then before one. Sometimes these windows have fallen on them and sometimes they have been out of the blue totally unexpected. Last week for example, i hit a window which lasted only a short time caught a fish, had a large fish follow and come back and miss bait 6 casts later and another fish come in hard and miss the bait, no more than a 75 yard section of river. It fell right around sunset on a post frontal day with blue bird skys and high pressure, not exactly fishy looking weather to myself but the fish were active. Did it happen because of sunset, did it trigger the fish? I really dont know and probably never will for sure, but i do know when they happen i will be on the receiving end of a good night/day of fishing.

lowbidder
11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice Fish.
I like em round... and big! Hahaha.