PDA

View Full Version : Dead muskie found.

Anzomcik
11-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I good friend of mine has a hunting camp by the river. He went there this past weekend and took a fourwheeler trip to the river, he spoted somthing odd floating in a pool. So he waided out saw it was a dead fish, so he grabbed it brought it to the bank. Turned out to be a dead musky, it measured out to be 48". He told me it looked like it died only minutes before because all the color was still in it, and nothing has picked at it.

Just wondering has anyone else came across a dead musky like this? Do they just die of old age, (i know everything dies and old age will get you if nothing else does) Just thought it was odd, the timing. If i get a pic i will post it.

Red Childress
11-10-2009, 10:43 AM
There was a big one that went belly up this summer about 3 miles below the Kinzua outflow. No marks and looked clean according to the story I heard. Since I have only seen 1 dead musky in 17 years here in the Warren area, I am guessing that fish was hooked by a trout/walleye/bass rig along the tailrace area but broke off deep inside the fish and was fatal.

Just a guess......

McDunnoftheAllegheny
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I have also found a dead linge in the river in the starbrick area. it was fairly decomposed though.

Red Childress
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
The dead one I saw this summer was in the Starbrick dredge laying along the weedbed in the upper portion of the dredge..........looked to be a low to mid-40's fish and the maggots had already arrived.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Thats the same fish I seen.

Anzomcik
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Well i finaly got the photo from my coworker, real long fish does no look like alot of girth, but that might have been because it was on its way out...
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr240/anzomcik/IMG950034.jpg

Red Childress
12-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Is he standing on the backside of the first island just above Hemlock Eddy??

Anzomcik
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Red to be honest, i have no idea i can talk to him monday. His deer camp is by titusville. So as of right now thats about as detailed as i can get. Ill post more if i get any good info.

Red Childress
12-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I was just curious.....no real reason for the question except to see if I could guess the area. I assumed he was in the trophy trout section.