PDA

View Full Version : This weeks report

Ty Sennett
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Sorry I didn't get any posts up in the last few days. had some computer issues. We boated 37,40,43,44,44, 45(tiger),47 1/2, and 48 inch fish this week. Most were on quick set rigs but most followed Bulldawgs first or gliders. a couple were caught on Bulldawgs. We lost some nice fish also. One mid forty inch fish on a Hugh's River glider and some on suckers that seemed to be pretty good. I'll get some pictures up sunday.

Water temps were 45 degrees today.

johnkersting
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Ty, Seems to me in my reading of different forums, you probably have more experience than most with the sucker rigs. My fall fishing consists of trolling cranks and casting when the weather allows it. I fish central MN and we have a year around camper at Youngs Bay LOTW, but all reports say the fish are on to the suckers more than cranks, at least around here. I have no experience with the sucker rigs, looking for a little insight on how to best use them. Can you help me out a bit? I've been told to slow troll. How slow? What keeps the sucker down in the water column? Do I need to add any weight to the rig? Also picked up sucker rigs with the big bobbers. Did I waste my money or do they have some use? How long should you wait before trying to set the hooks? Some old timers told me you have to wait til the fish is swallowing the sucker to assure a good hook set. Wouldn't that cause harm to the fish? I want to make sure I can have a good release. Any info? Sounds like your fall isn't going to bad. I did make a trip over to the Chip a couple of years ago. No luck! Might have hook up with you next summer and try it again. Good luck and thanks for any info you can spare.
Thanks, John

Ty Sennett
11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
I would go with the Herbeck or Maina lift off rigs. They come with instructions and are the best hookup rigs out there. As to how long to wait, set right away but try to make sure the fish is going away from you. If the fish grabs the sucker and just sits there, slowly pick up on the rod to get him to swim away from you. If he drops the sucker leave it sit there and more times than not he will come back. Use some rubber core weights to keep the suckers down or otherwise they will swim all overr the place.

johnkersting
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Ty, Thanks for the info. We'll be heading out shortly to give the suckers a try. I have been researching the best methods to use the rigs online. It seems the rubber band through the nostrils type set up is the quickest set up that allows for fast releases. Is that basically how the Maina rigs work? Well, looks like a nice day to fish. A little breezy, but at least we're seeing the sun for a change. Again thanks! John

Ty Sennett
11-02-2009, 01:26 PM
The Maina Rig is the rubber band through the nostril rig. It is about as safe as any method you would use. I've never had one hooked bad with this rig. Remember to use 100 pound line with these rigs and change the first twenty feet of line every day or two.

Good luck,

surforeno
11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
I am curious as to what type of line they are running that requires changing the first 20 feet so frequently?

Is that primarily because he is going to be trolling?

Ty Sennett
11-03-2009, 08:46 PM
No, I just don't take any chances with sucker fishing. The line rubs in the same ten feet of line all day so I just change it up a lot.