PDA

View Full Version : Just Like Everything This Year...

Mike Hulbert
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Turnover had started about a week ago, but with fairly warm days, it has completely stalled out turnover and on ALL the musky lakes it hasn't taken place yet. I have heard from several people that Webster has already turned over...nope not yet....same with Tippy and Barbee.

Turnover doesn't really kick in till the temps get right at 50 degrees, which we are still above for now.

Ifishtolive
10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Mike!

I did not make it out Saturday. It ended up being Sunday. We were out on Tippy from 12-4 and things were slow. I had four kids in the boat so fishing was limited. Had my 12yr old nephew with us, I really hoped to get one in the boat for him! We had fun anyway more memories for all. Hope to get out this coming weekend, maybe the warming water will entice the big girls to bite a little better this weekend!

P.S. Maybe the ice will be a little later this year too!

Take a kid fishing they'll have a lifetime of memories!

Buddy Ellenburg

shibes24
10-27-2009, 05:30 AM
In regards to turnover... doesn't that usually mean that the fish could be found in a wider range of depths? Does that mean that fishing is usually better AFTER turnover as opposed to just before it? Or is it simply just another thing to adjust to? My dad and I were out on Tippy on Sunday as well and we had no luck. We spoke to one guy who said he had one follow and that's it. Maybe we should have waited until after turnover?

shibes24

Mike Hulbert
10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
When turover happens, the water on the top of the water column is cooler than the water at the bottom of the column, and the water actually start so flip or "turnover"....

After turnover, the oxygen levels are pretty much the same no matter if you are in 5 ft. of water or 40 ft. of water....it also doesn't change much if you are in the first 2 feet when over 40 foot of water, or on the bottom in 40 feet of water...the oxygen content is pretty much the same at any depth and at any level vertically in the water column.

Pre-turnover and during turnover, the most active fish are usually found in shallow water, after turnover, it becomes a "hunting" game...searching for bait and active fish...usually easier after turnover. Also remember during the fall the feeding windows are usually very short and intense. It might only last 15 minutes....but in that time you can put 2 or 3 in the bag if your on the money spot and can predict the windows....which is what musky fishing is all about....finding the spots and predicting when the fish using that area will turn on and eat!!!