PDA

View Full Version : Cold Snap

Red Childress
10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Has anyone noticed a decrease in fishing success during this cold snap besides me?

jah1317
10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
The whole damn summer has been a cold snap for me..... that being said I took my dad out on sunday and got him into a couple of 25" pike, nothing huge but made him smile alot! He lost 2 pike rolled a probable musky, and boated 2. One was on chubs on a quike strike which was fun, the other casting. I did not even have one hit but truth be told I spent alot of the time getting us into position for him, I like seeing him catch the fish more than when I catch them. Next up is getting him into some actual fish (musky) and big girls at that :).

Take care,

Jacob

Red Childress
10-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Things are 'looking' much better this week/weekend.......

The entire Allegheny Reservoir has cooled 13 degrees in 5 weeks. That is 12,000 acres of water we are talking about.

cband
10-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Red, looking back through you notes, how are the temps compared to last years temps. I was wondering what the temps are now south of warren(couldn't get a temp reading on Sunday), seemed to cool down faster this year than in the last couple. Our depth finder took on a lot of water a few weekends back, and has not recovered.

Red Childress
10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
South temps (at Buckaloons) are 3-5 degrees ahead of schedule due to the Conewango and Brokenstraw Creeks cooling so fast with the cold rain/snow this year. The only bait I have been seeing up in the shallows are the shiners, everything else has pretty much pulled deep. I do see some brown chubs working the weeds but not near as many as usual. The really strange thing I have noticed is the lack of trout activity on the surface. The big browns are usually going nuts near the creek mouths and I have not see any movement during the weekends.

If we get an Indian Summer, those creeks could be warmer than the river before the final cool down next month.

ttabaleulb
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
LMAO Jacob, I am right there with you man. Just never really figured them out so far this year. I was still able to achieve some of my goals for the year, so I can't complain much. I'll tell ya, after the action on the Flyrod, I plan to focus mainly on that part of it. It was fantastic and an incredible rush. I'm actually lookin to sell off some of my other gear to my brother. I somehow picked up a hell of a lot more stuff than he did over the same time period!! LOL

I hope to get out again this weekend with Flyrod in hand and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I get practice for some Tarpon on the Fly in the Keys next Spring!!

ppalko
10-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't keep records, but the temps from the outflow seemed warmer for this time of year, at least up to the recent blizzard! Last year the water temps in Sept cooled into the lower 60 F range and this year they seem to be just getting and passing them very quickly. It seems like a really strange year as the water flows in the river were very above normal over the summer and that certainly has to have some impact on things into the fall.

ppalko

Red Childress
10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Outflow temps are almost always between 43-46 degrees during Thanksgiving vacation........I am curious to see if that holds true this year.