PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor Resurrected

lowbidder
10-16-2009, 07:29 PM
An interesting story (to me at least)...

After replacing my batteries and getting them to hold a charge, I confidently hooked them up to my trolling motor. Flipped the switch and nothing :confused:. Checked the connections and still nothing :mad:. I used my continuity tester to trace the power from the battery all the way to the motor itself and everything was good. Figuring the motor was shot, I was just about ready to unbolt the motor and unceremoniously pitch it into the dumpster. My buddy convinced me to tear it apart and investigate. Not only did I find a large gob of fishing line wrapped around the shaft, but upon pulling the motor out of the housing, we noticed that one of the brushes behind the motor was worn out.

Due to a misplaced order I made a few months ago, I had an extra brush kit for a trolling motor laying in the back of my truck. No lying. A lot of F-bombs and an hour later, we had her purring again! If you ever run into this problem, it's a very cheap fix. $35 in parts, a socket set and a screw driver. Don't waste big bucks sending it away to get fixed. After tearing this thing apart and putting it back together, I would bet 9 out of 10 times when a motor "dies", this is the reason.