PDA

View Full Version : Not so hot Mohawksin

Silverspring
10-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Just returned from my second trip to lake Mohawksin this year. Big difference from my last trip there just 4 weeks ago! Went from short sleeves to long johns and from catching 5-6 dogfish a day down to 0 or 1 a day when I was lucky.

Neither Lucas nor Kenny were able to join me on the water this time. I really missed Kenny's advise while I was out there. I'm sure I would have had better success if he had been out there with me.

I was able to catch quite a few perch! Some very nice size ones as well. They were all caught whenever I was using shrimp. I also had a pretty big musky hit one of the perch I had on right next to the boat. Dam thing scared the hell out of me! About 5 seconds after he hit it, he let go and the mangled perch came flying up out of the water and nearly hit me in the face.

And sadly, that's pretty much goin' do it for my fishing this year. I'm not a cold weather fisherman and it got very cold very fast this last week. So I'll have to wait till next year to resume chasing that bowfin record.

Best of luck to all you who are willing to brave the elements.

Mike Kanaval
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't give up now!

This is without question the best time to hunt for the big one. Dress warm & bring plenty of food to charge up.

Soooooooo, where did you see this musky? :):D

Silverspring
10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I was fishing a deeper weed line that was like half way between a railroad trestle and where Sara park is on the south shore. It was a real good size fish, very chunky. Hard to say exactly how big it was, but I'm pretty sure it was well over 40 inches. If you've got anything in the tackle box that looks like a perch, give it a try, who knows, you might just get lucky!

BTW, thanks for the "Bootleggers" tip, I had the chance to eat there and I thought it was great!

Lucas lake
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Silverspring, I wish I could tell you how the fishing has been but it's been 3 weekhope it s since I've wet a line in Mohawksin. Works been kicking my butt. I've talked to Kenny and he has been out at least twice a week and has had some luck. He is finding the dogfish mainly in shallow bays during midday. I told him you got up there, and he was wondering way you didn't stop by.

Well, I'm going to try it this weekend and I'll leave a post. I hope it makes it to 50 degrees. Plan on targeting Walleyes and Dogfish. I'll be draging a sucker for a Muskie. Time to go and enjoy a couple of ice cold Blatz.

Tight Lines
Lucas Lake