PDA

View Full Version : Turnover

Mr Musky
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Im sure many lakes did not stratify this summer with the cool conditions but there is still I would think a bit of a turnover that occured in Sept. Have you guys seen any lakes that looked to be in turnover or what is going on this year? With the high winds and cool temps one would think the big and small lakes would be good to go by now? What's your observations?

Thanks,
Mr Musky

Ranger Rick
10-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Only a handful of lakes even turnover in the Eagle River area. The summer did warm enough for the very deep lakes to stratify. North and South Twin, Black Oak, Medicine, and Big Stone are some that did. However the lakes that have only 30 feet of water for their maximum depths have "rolled" over with the extreme winds, cold rain, and exceptionally low night time temps going down as far as 25 degrees two nights in a row with heavy winds churning the lakes all night. We then experienced several days of wind coupled with hard cold rain that added to the lakes temperature reduction.
Tonight we are supposed to get down to 21 degrees for the low.

All of this resulted in the H2O temperatures dropping from 68 degrees about two weeks ago to what they are at now at 55 to 53 degrees on the Eagle River Chain and all the other lakes that have a shallow basin. Simply put, the lakes "zoomed" through the transition period in 10 to 12 days. Incredable. I haven't seen anything like this in years. The shallower lakes are clearing nicely with visibility beening about 2 to 3 feet down, meanwhile North Twin is on the door step of the transition, with water temperatures at 58 degrees. When she hits 54 degrees she will be done. Lac Vieux Desert has completed the transition for the year.

The sucker bite is coming on, I caught one on Saturday on a sucker, my last day out.

I hope this helps everyone understand what is going on up here with Eagle River fishing. One last note.

We have moved our 22 Annual "Wallhanger" muskie school from October 17- 21, 2009 to November 6,7,8,9,10, 2009 to hopefully take advantage of colder water temperatures and a better big fish bite. We have a few spots left open so if anyone wants learn how I catch big muskies in late fall, come join us.

Call Ranger Rick at 715-479-5568 for the details.

Good luck this fall for the big ones.

Ranger Rick

Mr Musky
10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Excellent explanation!

Thanks Range!

Mr Musky