PDA

View Full Version : fishing report 10/3

Steve Herbeck
10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
it's been since 1st of sept since posting a report main reason besides being busier than heck was conditions,patterns,water temps,and fishing remained remarkable stable throughout actually since mid aug.

the warmest spell and actually the longest period (over 3 weeks)and highest avg temps avg. mid 70's to mid 80's we had all season was from 1st part of sept through sept 25th extending the regular summer fishing patterns we have been reporting thru aug. the shorter days and longer cooler nights than mid summer helped keep water temps in the same ranges also despite the higher avg daytime temps.

early this past week a cold front rolled in,cold n winds,early morning frosts,dropping water temps into the high 50's has signaled finally a real fall period is now here.

the rapid drops and changes scattered fish a bit and have changed patterns quickly.

walleyes dropped off the bars into the mud/rock breaklines and deep flats generally deeper into the high 30'-40' + ranges though after a period of adjustment/stabilization and or some sunny weather they could move back up abit on structure.

bass have bunched up on the bars at 12-18' and very aggressive with avg size in the 16-20"+ and fat footballs.

for both walleyes and bass big chubs and jigs have been best.
the honiger group fishing thier first day with scott m yesterday had walleyes to 32" and weighed at 12# and 20+ bass in less than an hr to 21" and 6#.
most other groups are concentrating primarily on muskys.

the drastic changes did affect muskies somewhat scattering them ,dropping some deeper,and generally put them in an unhappy funky mood but showing signs of adjustment and i'm sure will jump into the fall bite within the next few days. stiil even with the changes fish were still being caught last week,lopresti's had 5 fish,ed had a 48,john k had a 45 and lost several bigger,harrimans some low-mid 40's a 48 and lost a great fish over 50,andy had a 49,swengals a 46 and a 50,scott had a 55" a few days before,other guests were boating somke 40-45" stuff and everyone was playing with some big ones so though even the slowest it's probably been this season because of the massive front and not a full camp it still was not a bust last week and we have a full camp of fishermen coming in this last week ,had some time now for the fish to adjust so we look forward to some big fish being boated this coming week.

weeds when you can find them as they are rapidly deteriorating will still hold fish though most activity has been coming off rocks with some fish holding deeper off breaks also. been alot of raiders,gramas,bulldawgs,and #10's slow rolled deeper.

we started goose and duck hunts this past fall and danny had some great shoots with guests the past 2 weeks as well as some mid day grouse hunting.
we will be in the woods after next week getting ready for the deer hunts coming up end of oct and nov.

i will post a seasons ending report and all i can say now is despite the seasons weather pattersn and such we are pleased and were blessed with a very good season overall which is a testament to the quality of the fishery,and outstanding guides and service.

we are currently taking reservations for 2010 with many already coming in so if you are looking for prime dates ,guides,and specific cabins /equipment now is a good time to start planning.

i am waiting for a bunch of pics to get posted from the past few weeks and now also have many more to add so they should be up shortly.

i'm sure many have seen the episodes filmed this past season with john gillespie if not you can get them off his site and some previews on you tube,also watch for a great show on the musky hunter to air mid jan.

take care and good luck to all for the remainder of the season both fishing and hunting.

Bill Hedden
10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Herbie,
I notice that quiet little line in there about Scotty getting a 55." Now Scotty will be the first to tell you that my aging brain is handicapping me, but I think I recall that a 55" is his new personal best, and if it was fall fat it must have been a heck of a fish. Congratulations!
Bill Hedden

DanR
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Herbie,
I notice that quiet little line in there about Scotty getting a 55." Now Scotty will be the first to tell you that my aging brain is handicapping me, but I think I recall that a 55" is his new personal best, and if it was fall fat it must have been a heck of a fish. Congratulations!
Bill Hedden
I think that is his longest.

However, news just came of a heavier fish. 53.5" x 30". Congrats!!

-Dan

Steve Herbeck
10-06-2009, 07:07 AM
sun and mon. pm we off to a decent start. weather and water temps have stabilized
george 50" 47"with herbie,dave 44with mike,jonsie 49" with herbie,jimmy 51.5" with tony 42" with scott j,dale 48",bob,48",honisgberg 45" with scott m,cal 50",scott j 53.5,leombruni 4 40-45"

nickmart
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Anyone been out fishing? How is the action? What is the water temps? Looks like it is pretty cold up there.

Steve Herbeck
10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
nick,
last week was our last real week for the season. had a great group,full camp,some weather extremes but still managed to boat some good fish.
fish i can remember from last week were scotts 55,the lasiks 52.5 48,ringenbach 51.5,mann 50,48,47,glass 51.5,socall 50,hafeman 48, 47,bolz 48,mike 50,cal 50,jonsie,49,dave koeshal 52,45, and a bunch of 38-46's by other guests as well as honisbergs 32" walleye,bass 18-21" and 5+ #,hipelus,29,31" walleye and thier first muskies,scotts 45"pike and numerous other pike 38-41".
some pics will be posted shortly.
weather right now is real fall fishing weather,some fronts coming and going,some flurries,temps low 30's at night high 30's - low 40's daytime,water temps around 50-52.
we (the guides) just never seem to be able to get enough, next season we will be having the same trophy hunt formatt 2nd week of sept through the first full week of oct and adding the following 2 weeks later, we will be limiting the # of fishermen in camp to 16 max a/p sat -sat fully guided only pkg.
we are looking for only the most serious fishermen,be prepared for any kind of weather and we will be ready to do whatever it takes but it will be the ultimate trophy musky hunt with best guides in nw ontario.

ManitouDan
10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
any pics available of that fish with the 30 inch girth ? Dang ! thats a HAWG MD

Steve Herbeck
10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
it is a beautiful fish,scotty has had an excellent season for us and guests with his 2 biggest 55" and 53.5 X 30? don't know where 30" girth came from but it is a tremendous fish,it might be but my guesstimation would be 27-28. still it's a pushing 50# fish.
we all congratulate and are happy and proud of him and his abilities as well as his demeanor,professionalism, and atttitude with guests.
i'll have webmaster post a pic.
herbie

admin911
10-22-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/attachment.php?attachmentid=7516&d=1256223668

glennb
10-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Sure, post a picture like that now that its almost November so we can envision that beast swimming around Eagle all winter!

Chuck Schranz
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey Scott:

What an awesome fish! Congratulations on a tremendous month of October. I know for sure that the 55" was your personal best but that "shorter" fish is a beast. Definitely looks to be in the 50# range.

Like Herbie's idea of extending the season an additional two weeks next year.
Just thinking out loud but...any thoughts about extending the day to include fishing til dark? In as much as the days are shorter and we won't be able to fish after dinner was thinking about normal 8:00 AM departure and returning back to camp around 6:30 - 7:00 and having dinner served a little later. I'm sure it would cause some logistical concerns (longer days for the guides and disrupting the girls in the kitchen) but it's something I'm sure the die hard muskie guy or gal would enjoy. Nothing better than pounding the water for eleven straight!

Just my thoughts on what I think is a great idea.

Chucky

Steve Herbeck
10-24-2009, 10:44 AM
that is what we do or give the option for the last 2 weeks of the regular season/musky hunt the last week of sept and first full week of oct as the days get shorter. breakfast around 7;30-8;00 and dinner at 7;00.
it will be the same for the ultimate hunt the next 2 weeks next season
the ultimate hunt oct 9-16, 16-23 will be limited to 10-12 total guests in camp 6 days 7 nights inclusive a/p fully guided pkgs only.
for most the reg hunt 2nd wek of sept through the first full week of oct and one that has been a reg with many repeat guests year after year and many big fish boated over the past 15 years we've offered it is the best overall choice considering weather and it's possiblities of extremes later,water temps in the prefered range for casting opportunites,the choices of all pkg plans/lengths of stay and thier fall disc pricing as well as guided,partially guided,or on your own options,the commadrie of a full camp of musky hunters many who have shared the same week for years,and the seminar and instruction program are many of the reasons why it has been so popular.
the 2 newly added weeks will be for a few diehard souls willing to put up with possibly tougher weather,have the lake to ourselves,looking for a shot at a big fish,and with the limited number of guests and the premium pkg. be fully taken care of in all aspects by an excellent staff and the best musky guides around.we'll see how it goes.
herbie

Steve Herbeck
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
glenn,
just a bit of a prick tease!!
you know as well as i there are MUCH BIGGER SWIMMING AROUND.
how about that beast we had going and you swallowed your cigar and f*%#$ed it up when she ate at the boat?
remember i said eventually it would get better.....but not much!!! ha ha! how you doing?,has it gotten any better yet?
noticed this season you weren't smoking cigars.
congrats on your 50+ as well as your sons fish(s) this summer though.
take care ,good hunt'n this fall,and i'll see ya this winter.
oh ya you was thinking about muzzeloader hunting with us this fall.
had 3 come in early for the hunt yesterday,2 already done with nice bucks first day,got 3 more coming in tommorrow,got some darn good bucks going if we can get em' killed.
herbie

glennb
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow, 4 out of 4 is pretty impressive! Waiting to see some pics. We'll make it happen next year for sure.

HAHAHA, yea, the cigar deal was pretty sick. When a fish of a lifetime swallows your bait 5 feet from the boat and you freak out and reflex takes over sucking in when having a cigar in your mouth, bad things happen!

This year was awesome. We did seem to have bad luck following us around the whole week to start. Fish hitting and getting off, a jumbo 54+ coming in hard on Jeff's bait only to have Dover's bait coming in to boat at the exact same time and when they both went in to figure 8 the fish just froze like it didnt know which bait to go after. Huge fish were following to boat and missing topwaters all week and then WHAM! Last day and Jeff catches a nice one almost pulling him in on figure 8. My personal best 52 incher with the coolest top water hit 4 feet from boat I have ever seen and the fish went berserk!! Came out of the water like a tarpon. Then after I finally quit shaking, only 10 minutes later my personal best northern-44 incher. Then topping it off with a 30 inch walleye hitting a musky bait. Fish were flying all over the place. A day to remember!!!

Good luck the rest of the deer season.

Steve Herbeck
11-08-2009, 11:09 AM
glenn,
we both know first hand there are MUCH BIGGER swimming around. you ever get over that jumbo we had goingthat you swallowed your cigar on when she ate?
thought i was going to have to take you to the cardiac ward!! like i said it will eventually get better but...not much,it will just haunt you less frequently.
congrats on your 50+ and your sons this summer.
to bad you didn't make it up for muzzeloader season 4 outa 4 2 8's,10,12 nneeded more hunters had alot of good stuff going.
\last week rifle we did 6 outa 12 but all 12 had been hunting with us for 4-7 years and have shot good bucks so lots of letting go going on. also rut is running a bit late and most big bucks we were seeing and on camera were after dark.zaks 13 was the biggest.
maybe next season,i'll see ya this winter and good luck hunting.
herbie

Steve S WI
11-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Hey Steve/Herbie...

I know hunting is the main thing now up there but just wondering if any late musky hunting has paid off. Here in N WI it has been pretty good for us. Several 25+lb'ers along with many others. Warm weather has seemed to help!?!? Hope you guys blast some nice bucks! From your previous post " It will eventually get better.. but not much" Isn't that the case man, for no matter what species is lost !!
Love that quote. Still dosen't help for me and many. LOL!!!! Later Steve.

Bob_W_Oh1o
11-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Scott & Steve~

Greetings from Cleveland OH, Sorry we didnt make it up this year but as we talked daughters wedding this year was priority I. First miss in the last 10 years dang!

Scott - what a hog, great job.

Eric and I planning 2010 . . maybe even bring the ole Boston Whaler up for a fairwell tour with potential for a new boat. Talk with y'all soon

Bob & Eric